Breast Cancer Awareness Group

tmg67
Reconstruction Surgery
by tmg67
November 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Hi!! I was diagnosed back in June 2010 that I had triple negative breast cancer. I started chemo on Aug. 2, 2010 and finished my last in Jan, 2011. I had a bilaterl mastectomy on Feb. 1, 2011. At the time, my doctors told me I didn't need radiation. So 3 months later, my doctor calls me in and tells me that after looking at my charts again and discussing it with other doctors, they felt it would be best for me to have radiation. My first radiaion was in June 2011. I had 33 treatments that left me with 3rd degree burns all on my right side. I kept going to my apptointments for them to see if I was healing. They would tell me everything was fine. Finally, in June, my plastic surgeon looked and said my skin still had some healing to do. He said sometims with the burns I had, it took a year for the skin to look ok for the surgery.  During this time, I developed colitits because of all the medicine they had me on. And of course, the medicine they gave me to clear the colitis contained steroids. I was on steroids for 18 months and during those 18 months, I gained 80 pounds. Finally, on Sept. `11, 2012 I had an appt. with Dr. Truss, my plastic surgeon. He looked at my charts and told me he would not do the surgery until I was off the steroids and that I had to lose 30 pounds. This made me so mad because I wouldn't have gained the weight if they hadn't put me on steroids and tried the medicine I'm on now first. I'm scared to death that I won't lose the weight. Everything else has been taken care of except my weight. Please, if you will, keep me in your prayers that I can lose these 30 pounds and have this part of my life over with. It's the worse feeling in the world to even think of not being able to have my reconstruction. I just feel that it would make me feel better about myself and I hate wearing those fakes ones with the bras. I would love to be able to donate them to someone who needs them if and when I'm done with them. sorry for saying so much at one time, I just had to get it off my chest because I've been here by myself today and have done nothing but cry because I started thinking I wasn't going to lose the 30 pounds but believe me, I've been praying because I know that's just the devil trying to get his foot in the door, which isn't going to happen, The devil will always be under my feet where he belongs, as I am a christian and give all the Praise and Glory to God for healing me.  God Bless <3

Replies

• busygramma4
    November 6, 2012 at 2:41 AM
    You go ahead and vent! Isn't that what we're here for? I hope it helped to get it off your chest. You also have my prayers to help you along on your journey. I think you have shown tremendous strength so far. Without the steroids hopefully this little glitch won't be so long and you will be on your road to that surgery! Hang in there girl!
  • taniamorse85
    November 8, 2012 at 3:49 AM

You have every right to vent!  You've been through a heck of a lot, and it sucks to have something like weight to stand in your way.  I hope the weight comes off well and you can get your reconstruction as soon as your body is ready.  You're in my prayers.

• Specialk3190
    November 8, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    You sure have been through it! I know you will lose those 30 pounds. If you can swing it financially Weight Watchers has a good program with good support. My friend and I joined together She lost sixty pounds! I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and had bilateral mastectomies with reconstruction. My reconstructive surgery was not 100% successful, so I went back to the OR on 10/2/12. Happy to report that things are off to a good start...two more surgeries down the road. I know just how you feel. I had one reconstructed breast and used a prosthesis on the other side. I hated it, and I think I cried every day until I had my last surgery. I now feel hopeful! You will get there too...You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you!!!!

Breast Cancer Awareness Group

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN