Thyroid Issues and Concerns

javagirl328
Attention ladies who have nodules
June 9, 2008 at 2:40 PM
There have been a couple of ladies on here in the past couple of weeks who have nodules. I know it is scary to hear that you have one or more in your thyroid. I was in your position last January. Some nodules are just nodules and just have to be monitored. Some are cancer. You do not need to be exposed to radiation in order to get nodules. Some explanations I have heard for how they come about are environment (the air we breath and such), soy, genetics, etc. but they are not sure. Many people have them and do not know it and live with them for years. When I first found out I had a nodule that might have to be removed, in a panic I scoured the internet. I, of course, read about thyroid cancer. I was sure I was going to be dead in a year. I was so bad, my husband had to unplug the internet when he went to work! But my nodule wound up being cancer and from everyone I've heard from, doctors, nurses, radiologists, survivors, they all say it is the most treatable cancer out there. It's been a year since I had my first dose of radioactive iodine and I go for my follow-up scan next week. I do still get nervous but the outlook is great. 
My point is, don't get worried until it's time to worry. And even if you hear "thyroid cancer" there is still reason to be calm. Yes, it's a nuisance, but it's not like having chemo or radiation.  I know you're thinking "that's easy for her to say" but there's no need for extra stress.

Replies

• i-am-so-done
    June 10, 2008 at 10:52 AM
    Hey ladies,
    I am at the 2 year mark of being cancer free with them having to remove my thyroid. Yes it can be stressful just thinking about it. Everytime I go get a scan I just try to stay positive and know that if the cancer does show back up I just have to go back and swallow another little pill.
    I'm sorry if I sound passive, blase', or like it doesnt affect me but it does and I am learning that stressing about it doesnt help.
    Thyroid cancer is one of the most treatable cancers out there with a very high success rate.
    Hang in there and if you are diagnosed then just do your treatments (which I have not had any side effects from ). Its much easier than having to go through chemo.
    And don't forget to have a good endocrinologist who will check you regularly.
    Wishing all of you the best,  your cafemom sister
  • javagirl328
    June 10, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Quoting i-am-so-done:

Hey ladies,
    I am at the 2 year mark of being cancer free with them having to remove my thyroid. Yes it can be stressful just thinking about it. Everytime I go get a scan I just try to stay positive and know that if the cancer does show back up I just have to go back and swallow another little pill.
    I'm sorry if I sound passive, blase', or like it doesnt affect me but it does and I am learning that stressing about it doesnt help.
    Thyroid cancer is one of the most treatable cancers out there with a very high success rate.
    Hang in there and if you are diagnosed then just do your treatments (which I have not had any side effects from ). Its much easier than having to go through chemo.
    And don't forget to have a good endocrinologist who will check you regularly.
    Wishing all of you the best,  your cafemom sister
    Thank you for your input. It almsot seems unfair that all we have to do is take a pill when there are people out there who get other forms of cancer and have to suffer so much more. I think it also is hard to wrap your brain around that you have cancer but it's okay? Does that make any sense? It's almost unbelievable that it's not hard to treat. Like you're waiting for the other shoe to drop. But not all nodules are cancer. My mom's cousin has had a few for years and they're nothing.
  • kori176
    by kori176
    June 13, 2008 at 9:16 PM
    So are nodlues and goders(SP) the same thing or different?? I am so excited that my thyroid levels finally showed that they are very low. In almost 4 years of taking test, they have never shown up as being anything. THey also say that I have high cholesterol but that could be due to the thyroid issues.
  • lilsquirt
    June 18, 2008 at 1:21 AM
    I had my thyroid removed 3 months ago with cancerous nodules. I'll be having the radioactive iodine treatment next month. My doctors keep telling me to go to Thyca.org and it is a great website with wonderful up to date information. I recommend checking it out.
  • vsplacy
    by vsplacy
    July 31, 2008 at 6:52 PM

I have a question.  I have been on synthroid for years but resently my hair started falling out, my skin is very dry and fatigue.  They sent me to see a Endo and she changed the dose I was on and did a sonogram.  I got the results and they said I have two nodules less than a cm. in size each so she said they are not going to do anything and check it again in 6 months.  Is that normal or should I get a second opinion?  any advice will be greatly appreciated.

frustrated

• savannahs1mom
    July 31, 2008 at 10:43 PM

Thank you for posting this! I am a worry wart and reading this really made me feel better because I have nodules that are being monitored and my cousin had thyroid cancer so I worry about it constantly.

• gertrude622
    August 18, 2008 at 8:13 AM

They usually won't do much more than monitor a thyroid nodule that's under 1.4 cm, I think it is. Somewhere around there. Mine popped up as a result of postpartum thyroiditis and it's a lovely 3.1 cm. I need to have it rebiopsied, though the doc doesn't think it's cancerous, it's shrunk slightly and appeared warm on the uptake scan. Now I just need to remember to take the films down to the hospital so they can schedule the biopsy. this week, I guess.

• xotammyxox67
    August 20, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Hi ladies, so my daughter just got diagnosed with hashimoto today.  Believe it or not the reason why is she went to her first obgyn appt.  They are shocked she got preg.  Her atibioties level is 566.  We see the endo tomorrow. They got us in QUICK.  What does the ultrasound detail?

• tizzolsen
    August 26, 2008 at 10:59 AM

DITTO HERE. I could have written this, so i guess that it is normal. They have to see if  the nodules are growing, or changing in any way. My nodules are just over a cm., and i am due to go back in November. I have been noticing that my hair is falling out more and more every day, and fatigue is getting worse, However, I agree with the previous ladies...no need to worry until it is time. Even if it does come down to it, worrying only makes life harder. Yes, I need to take my own advice. easier said than done i know, but really it is true.
    Good luck. Let us know how your return visit goes vsplacy

Quoting vsplacy:

I have a question.  I have been on synthroid for years but resently my hair started falling out, my skin is very dry and fatigue.  They sent me to see a Endo and she changed the dose I was on and did a sonogram.  I got the results and they said I have two nodules less than a cm. in size each so she said they are not going to do anything and check it again in 6 months.  Is that normal or should I get a second opinion?  any advice will be greatly appreciated.

frustrated

• malchusmom
    August 26, 2008 at 11:22 AM

what does it means when a nodule is warm????confused

Thyroid Issues and Concerns

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts