Thyroid Issues and Concerns

brjdaniels
Child diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism
September 1, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Has anyone had a child diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. We had blood work done last week on our 4 year old son and his thyroid panel and ALT came back high. His pediatrician wants to retest next week.

Replies

• karenl
    by karenl
    September 2, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Hi Im thinking about getting my 6 year old son's thyroid tested. Does your son have any symptoms? 

• brjdaniels
    September 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM

he is underweight, hyperactive, insomniac, failure to thrive.

• brjdaniels
    September 2, 2013 at 3:38 PM

oh and also has anxiety and mood swings

• brjdaniels
    September 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM

he is 4 years old, 40 inches tall and only weighs 30lbs he has lost two lbs since March

• brjdaniels
    September 2, 2013 at 3:44 PM

what symptoms is your son showing? We went to the ped because he was never sleeping and it was to the point we were finding him in our cars. I had to install a chain lock on my front door and have had to order magnetic door alarms. I have read that a lot of children with hyperthyroidism are initially diagnosed with ADHD but later when they have their thyroid checked and treated their "ADHD" magically disappears.

• Amanda52007
    September 8, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Hi! My daughter (who is 9 now) was diagnosed with Graves Disease and hyperthyroidism when she had JUST turned 5. She was eating SO much, not sleeping, had major constipation, couldn't focus, and was really small/skinny/pale. We went to an endocrinologist, and started her on medicine to control it, and slow down the function of the thyroid. It didn't work for her, and actually made it worse. She had to be put on heart meds to control her heart (rest rate 230). 

Shortly before a year after diagnosis, we had her swallow the radioactive iodine pill, to completely destroy her thyroid and leave her without a gland. Since then, it's been a HARD and very LONG road to getting her healthy. It's one thing after the other with her and illnesses, struggles, and thyroid levels. 

If you have any questions, I can help you. I'm currently researching thyroid disease and puberty because at 9.5, she's showing signs. Her endo wants her to do a puberty suppression therapy, and I'm not comfortable. 

Thyroid Issues and Concerns

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts