Thyroid Issues and Concerns

itsmylife1221
.I HAVE QUESTIONS!
July 25, 2013 at 6:22 PM

hi my name is rae, my 10 year old dd has been having issues the last 2 1/2 -3 months.. mainly she went from hardly ever sleeping to sleeping all night, and sleeping/resting almost all day long (she's also adhd, so her just laying around is o.O) she gained a lot of weight and her eczema has gone out of control. at first i thought puberty was setting in (She shown some signs) so i took her to the doc on monday and explained what had been going on. the doc decided to check her thyroid among other things.. i got the call yesterday evening that her thyroid was low and the doc had called an endocrinologist (sp?) and he said we needed to come back in to get more blood tests done ASAP. so we just got finished doing that today.  i don't know exactly which test he ordered i had meant to ask but i got sidetracked (bad mom i know) i do know that her first round of tests her blood sugar was low (71 her doc said it was on the low side but anything 60 and under she'd be concerned) everyone one that i've talked to has said "oh it no big deal, she'll just have to take a pill" i've looked online and i've seen stunted growth and mental retardation..i have no clue what questions i need to ask. or if i need to be freaking out. i always thought thyroid issues happened to adults not children. HELP!

Replies

• LilyPondOasis
    July 26, 2013 at 11:45 PM

I unfortunately do not have any answers but I pray you get some soon from a Doctor whom is better informed.

I too never thought kids could get thyroid issues but they can. Sadly.

I hope all goes well for the appointment but I would check out online what medications are out there for children.

I take levothyroxine for my hypothyroidism. 

Take care! Hugs!

• itsmylife1221
    July 27, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Quoting LilyPondOasis:

I unfortunately do not have any answers but I pray you get some soon from a Doctor whom is better informed.

I too never thought kids could get thyroid issues but they can. Sadly.

I hope all goes well for the appointment but I would check out online what medications are out there for children.

I take levothyroxine for my hypothyroidism. 

Take care! Hugs!

thanks for replying!! 

• LilyPondOasis
    August 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Hope you get some answers soon.

Take care!

• HEATHER572
    August 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I'm HYPO (underactive) -(hyper is over active) My 7 yr old DD is being tested for HYPO currently.  If the Dr is testing for thyroid you should know the following

• Are they concerned it's over active (hyper) or under active (hypo)
    • Are they testing the TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) - if Yes what is the result , which is a number.
    • Are they going to test the hormones T3 & T4.
    • What does the Dr consider High - my Ped office considers 4.8 high - my adult Endocrinologist considers anything over 3 high for an adult.
    • Is the Endocrinologist a Pediatric Endo?

Hugs !!

• HEAVNLI1
    August 15, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Have her checked for gluten intolerance/Celiac Disease.  Seriously.. you might be surprised.

Thyroid Issues and Concerns

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts