Thyroid Issues and Concerns

cassybleau
Total Thyroidectomy on weds
June 5, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Hi I'am new here, I'am 30 years old mother to 3 beautiful daughters.  Anyway. I was wondering if anyone had a total Thyroidectomy done before.  I don't have hyper or hypo thyroid.   I have a goiter and a nodule on the right side that is over 5cm.  There is also a small nodule on the left side.   It's crushing my windpipe causing breathing problems and pain. I also have fatigue, weight gain, hair loss among other symptoms.  Has anyone gone through this?   I'm so nervous and don't know what to expect.    Thank you in advance so glad tha  found this group.   

Replies

• LilyPondOasis
    June 6, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Hello. Welcome to the group!

I have hypo thyroid issues. I've been on levothyroxine a few years now, though I have not had any complications.... sorry to read of the issues you are having. 

I personally do not know anyone whom has had a total thyroidectomy, but I too am glad you found the group. 

I pray all goes well for the surgery next week. Are they putting you on any medication for afterwards? Hope the symptoms you have ease up after.

Did they tell you what to expect or look out for before your follow-up?

Keep us posted. I hope it all goes well and you get relief. Hugs! 

• cassybleau
    June 6, 2013 at 11:09 PM
    Thank you for you're prayers. I will be put on medicine that day I believe my doc said synthroid I'm hoping to have a quick recovery. I haven't felt like my self in a long time. I'm always tired, and I get cranky easy. I will keep you posted. Again thank you.
  • LilyPondOasis
    June 11, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Hope for a quick recovery as well. 

Do keep us posted....

Quoting cassybleau:

Thank you for you're prayers. I will be put on medicine that day I believe my doc said synthroid I'm hoping to have a quick recovery. I haven't felt like my self in a long time. I'm always tired, and I get cranky easy. I will keep you posted. Again thank you.

• vetNmommy
    June 12, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I hope it went well!!

• cassybleau
    June 13, 2013 at 4:29 AM
    I'm home now in a lot of pain. The surgery was harder than the doc anticipated The mass was so big and attached to windpipe with blood vessels attached to it. It took him longer to do the surgery so he only took half my thyroid.

So there's a possibility I won't need meds, Which is good cause I can't remember to take them anyway. I'm just worried what happened to the right will happen to the left.

Thank you ladies for you're thoughts and prayers. I'm hoping for a speedy recovery.
  • LilyPondOasis
    June 13, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Glad you are home but I hope your pain eases up soon. 

Shame there was a bit of an issue due to the size of the mass, but I pray all works out and you will not need the other side done. 

Take care!!

Quoting cassybleau:

I'm home now in a lot of pain. The surgery was harder than the doc anticipated The mass was so big and attached to windpipe with blood vessels attached to it. It took him longer to do the surgery so he only took half my thyroid.

So there's a possibility I won't need meds, Which is good cause I can't remember to take them anyway. I'm just worried what happened to the right will happen to the left.

Thank you ladies for you're thoughts and prayers. I'm hoping for a speedy recovery.

• cassybleau
    June 24, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Just an update on my surgery.  I still have stitches in my neck because the surgeon couldn't see me till this Friday even though he said I needed to see him 1 week post op.  the incision isn't closing right it's like spread in the middle.  It's still very read and still hurts.  Also I still don't have a pice and when I can talk I sound so ridiculous.  My husband says I sound like Andre the giant.  I'm just so frustrated with this whole thing.  Can't wait to feel normal again.  Thank you for you're thoughts and prayers :) 

• LilyPondOasis
    June 25, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Hopefully you will heal up soon. I can imagine your frustration. 

Is your Doc able to give you anything for pain at all? Maybe a numbing medication for the outside? 

Hugs to you! Hope all gets better.♥

• cassybleau
    July 3, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I finally saw the surgeon and then the thyroid dr.  The surgeon said the mass was huge going into my chest behind my chest bone. He said the tumor was attached to a nerve, an artery, my voice box and had vessels around it.  He said he had to peel the tumor layer by layer so he wouldn't cause damage.  My voice will take awhile to come back.  He said I will be in pain for awhile because the nerve is swollen.  I also was put on thyroid meds too. Thank you again for you're thoughts and prayers I greatly appreciate it.  

• LilyPondOasis
    July 4, 2013 at 3:45 AM

Goodness. I am sure it will take some time to get your voice back, just take it easy as best as you can. 

Hope you have something to help with pain to ease that. Take care and thanks for the update! Hugs!

Thyroid Issues and Concerns

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts