April 2010 Babies

lazy_daizee
2nd baby shower...?
December 15, 2009 at 10:36 PM

i've been asking myself ever since i found out that we are having a boy whether or not it would be wrong to have another baby shower? to me it really doesnt sound bad b/c, given the circumstances, i kind of need one. my daughter will be 4 1/2 when her baby brother is born. so yeah the clothes and things that i have saved are 95% girl stuff and 5% neutral gendered. its been over 4 yrs since i had my daughter, and most of her stuff i have either given to ppl i kno who could use them or tried to sell at yard sales etc.

my sis-in-law is overjoyed at the fact that she's going to have a nephew and really wants to throw me a shower. i guess i really cant stop her from doing it, but i just dont want my entire family(which is all my husband's side b/c my family lives way too far away) thinking im greedy or doing it for the wrong reasons.

i could really use some advice from everyone....what do u think? is it wrong for me to have a 2nd baby shower? i kno there's no written rule but my mother-in-law pointed out while we were picking out things at walmart the shower that "she only had one" and my husband and his sister(my sis-in-law) are 10 1/2 yrs apart. she can be quite old fashioned at times, so i just want to put my mind at ease by maybe getting some different points of view on the topic.

Replies

• lovemickey
    December 16, 2009 at 11:56 AM

My DD is 2 1/2 she won't be 3 until June and we are having another girl in April.  And yes were having a baby shower for her because my best friend wants to throw it for ( my mother did the first one) and because, I don't want this baby to feel like she wasn't good enough to have a baby shower for.  So were having one in March but I doubt if we get as much like we did with the first one but who cares as long as she knows we had a shower in her honor I'm ok. 

• MarigoldsMama
    December 16, 2009 at 12:04 PM

This is my 3rd baby and I am having a shower. 

I had a big shower for my 1st daughter, but I had it out of state, with lots of friends and family. For my second, (my girls are 16 months apart) I wasn't expecting a shower at all, but my Mom's group threw me a small surprise shower -- mostly diapers & such.

For this baby, my Baby Boy, my aunt & cousin are going to throw one for me here. It is a whole different group of friends (mostly) than who came to my 1st  two showers, so I don't feel too greedy! lol

For this shower, I'm not going to register. I just need clothes, towels, etc. in boy colors. I think people like to pick that kind of stuff out themselves. :o)

• spbyheidi
    December 16, 2009 at 12:23 PM

my son is going to be 3 1/2 when my daughter is born.  We are having a baby shower. everything i have i have given to my nephew, the only thing i have is the bed. i know a lot of people say that you should only have one shower... i dont agree. escpecially if the babies are more than a few years apart and if they are different genders. I know i personally cant start over from scratch. I dont see anything wrong in having more than one shower. im doing mine early though. its going to be this coming sunday while i am back home for the holidays so that everyone can attend.

• avpriddis
    December 23, 2009 at 2:56 PM

If someone is offering a baby shower - Take it!  Who cares what other people think.  You didn't plan  it, you didn't throw it.  I think every baby aught ot celebrated.  If I were ever to have a boy I am sure I would have another shower, but as it stands I've got 2 girls and this one is another girl. I honestly don't need a thing (ok a nice monitor and gate that would fit my hall would be nice, lol).  But anyways, With my 2nd girl we had a welcome home party.  After we'd been home a couple weeks we invited family and friends over to see baby, and just celebrate her life with us.  We didn't ask for gifts, (I think we got one), no one else planned it, I did all the food, and everything.  Unless someone decides to throw me a shower, I will be doing the same thing with this one.

• WifeNMommy07
    January 3, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Okay, I had a shower for both of my first two kids, and I see nothing wrong with it. But at both my showers I got some dipers, wipes, tons of baby shampoo and tons and tons of cloths. This time we didn't find out if we're having a boy or a girl and everyone's made cause they say they can't buy cloths or make blanktes or anything cause they don't know. The thing is I don't want lots of cloths. Neither of my first two wore all the cloths I got for them cause there was just too much or it was too big and when it did finally fit them it was out of season, like my daughter was born in Dec and I had lots of 6 month old winter close and no 6 month summer cloths ect..

So my husband and I did a registry at Babies R Us the other day of things we really needed for this baby like stuff for my breast pump, new bottles, and a new basinett cause the one I used for the first two broke when we moved. We did it cause everyone was mad about what to buy the baby. But we're not planning on having a shower at this point. I've actually been to busy planning one for my sister in law's second baby to think about it much.

April 2010 Babies