Dog Speak - Dog Training Forum

furbabymum
Training a livestock gaurdian.
July 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I'd like to train our Great Pyr to gaurd our poultry. So far I've been screwing it up. I was told that allowing him to sniff the birds was teaching him they were food. Crap. lol I've been taking him into the coop and run on a leash and allowing him to be a part of the flock. I also just took him in yesterday off leash. The big fear I have is the birds freak out and run every which way making as much noise as possible. This is incredibly exciting for our GP. He'll be sitting there just watching until they do this and then he gets up and gives chase. He's yet to harm any of them but probably because I call him off the minute he gives chase. Advice?

Replies

• miller060905
    July 31, 2012 at 12:38 AM
    I have no idea. My inlaws had 2 that were out with the goats and the neighbors down the road have 1 out with their horses. Good luck, I hope someone has some good tips/advice for you.
  • furbabymum
    July 31, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Yeah I should have started training him as a puppy. He's 3 now so it's a whole other ball game.

Quoting miller060905:

I have no idea. My inlaws had 2 that were out with the goats and the neighbors down the road have 1 out with their horses. Good luck, I hope someone has some good tips/advice for you.

• harmony7
    August 1, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Great Pyrs and other guardians are raised with the flocks, usually born in the hen house and shown the ropes by their parents they are not trained by humans but follow instincts. His instincts may kick in but you would need to pen him near the chickens night and day until he got over reacting to them and generally once working they are no longer pets per se but they have a job to do...thus the ones you see working and guarding in the fields do not go home at night to lay on the couch. They are wonderful pets but when raised in homes with humans we become there flock. My pyr was raised with his "herd" of boxers and he guards the girls and loves my sons but he chases the chickens and guards the horses Away from His food...lol....

• NancSBRN
    August 2, 2012 at 1:06 PM

It is also my understanding that the dogs have to be raised with whatever you want them to be guardians for.  There was one family here that kept the dogs with their horses, and when they wanted to put them with the sheep the dog saw the sheep as a threat to the horses.  We just visited a farm that had their out with the goats and sheep looked like that is just where he lived. Nice to people but I would not have wanted to try to go into the field with him.

• furbabymum
    August 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Well I had hope he could be retrained. I thought he could be as he was 2 when we had our son and he's taken to him really well. Guess he's just a house gaurd dog.

Quoting harmony7:

Great Pyrs and other guardians are raised with the flocks, usually born in the hen house and shown the ropes by their parents they are not trained by humans but follow instincts. His instincts may kick in but you would need to pen him near the chickens night and day until he got over reacting to them and generally once working they are no longer pets per se but they have a job to do...thus the ones you see working and guarding in the fields do not go home at night to lay on the couch. They are wonderful pets but when raised in homes with humans we become there flock. My pyr was raised with his "herd" of boxers and he guards the girls and loves my sons but he chases the chickens and guards the horses Away from His food...lol....

Dog Speak - Dog Training Forum

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts