Dog Speak - Dog Training Forum

anon1986East
Ear infections
April 7, 2012 at 10:10 PM

My dog got his very first ear infection last August, I was on my way to bring him to the vet to get a rabies booster since the previous day a rabid skunk had been in my yard and chased my dog, and while in the car he started shaking his head. I figured it was just the wind coming into the car but while the vet was examining him she said his ear was infected and was still in the very early stages so she gave me some ear drops for him.

I did the drops and the infection went away, but two months later he had another ear infection in the same ear. He had another round of drops and it went away but then it seemed like every couple months the infection would come back. Finally the infections seemed to stop, he had been free of ear infections for the last 3 months.

Last night as I sat in front of the computer my dog sat in his chair and slept, when I got up to go downstairs he followed me and as he followed me into the kitchen he started shaking his head again so I went to check his ear. The first thing I noticed was that his ear was all wet which seemed odd since he hadn't been near any liquids. I flipped back his ear to look at it and his ear was redder than it had ever been and was covered in a slimy brown liquid. I got a paper towel and wiped just the inside of his ear to dry it off, when I looked at the paper towel there was a little bit of blood. I called his vet but couldn't get an appointment until Monday so I'm just a bit worried. He hasn't been shaking his head as often as he did with his past ear infections even though his ear looks worse than it ever has before.

He wanted to play earlier this afternoon so I got down on the floor to play with him, I put each one of my hands on each side of his head and rubbed him like I always do but this time he cried when I touched near his ear on the outside of his head which he never did with his previous infections. So now I'm even more worried about it. He doesn't cry when I look at his ear or even when I wipe it but putting pressure on the outside of his ear under the opening of his ear causes him pain.

I know this isn't related to dog training but I'm hoping someone has experience with a dog who has recurring ear infections. Is there anything I should specifically ask the vet about on Monday? Is there a reason only one ear keeps getting infected? I know these infections aren't any fun for him and I wish I knew why it keeps happening and how I can stop it.

Replies

• bleaubird
    April 7, 2012 at 11:51 PM

In my experience, if it keeps coming back, you're not getting it all.  Has the vet done a swab?  Need to find out if it's bacterial or a yeast infection...

Also could be a food allergy...what do you feed your dog?

• miller060905
    April 8, 2012 at 1:48 AM
    My Wesley just had his first ear infection (both ears at the same time, poor guy) We just finished up his drops and his ears look great now. My vet asked what I had been doing as far as cleaning his ears. I had just been using a damp wash cloth and he said that could actually be part of the problem. He gave me some war cleaning solution and we were to clean his ears once a day (preferably in the morning) and then do the drops twice a day. He said the daily cleaning was important be ause it would allow the medicine to really get in there and do its job without having to fight all the gunk. Them he said after its cleared up to experiment with how often we clean his ears. He said start at once a week. If we get a lot of gunk do it more often, if we don't get any do it less often.

Anyways..... I don't know how often you clean his ears or what with... Just passing on what I was told.
  • syndell58
    April 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM

has he been checked for ear mites? When the ear is swabed it can come out looking a lilttle bloody looking.

• furbabymum
    April 9, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Floppy eared dogs get ear infections. Preventative maintenance is what I do to avoid them. We have the wipe pads and the liquid ear cleaner. I use it every single saturday on all 4 of my dogs to avoid infection. Haven't had an infection in years.

• Kenna1212
    April 11, 2012 at 6:14 PM

does he have floppy ears???? our petey kept getting "yeast infections" in his ears....we were told to give him a tablespoon of yogurt and we got drops...i would always try to flip his ears back when he was sleeping just to try to avoid any heat or moisture....also never use a wet rag always use a soft dry cloth=) good luck to you and him=)

• SissyAnn141
    June 24, 2012 at 3:56 AM

Quoting furbabymum:

Floppy eared dogs get ear infections. Preventative maintenance is what I do to avoid them. We have the wipe pads and the liquid ear cleaner. I use it every single saturday on all 4 of my dogs to avoid infection. Haven't had an infection in years.

I would love the NAME & Information you have...PLZ

• SissyAnn141
    June 24, 2012 at 4:01 AM

Quoting Kenna1212:

does he have floppy ears???? our petey kept getting "yeast infections" in his ears....we were told to give him a tablespoon of yogurt and we got drops...i would always try to flip his ears back when he was sleeping just to try to avoid any heat or moisture....also never use a wet rag always use a soft dry cloth=) good luck to you and him=)

My vet said 1/4 white vinegar & 1/4 rubbing alcohol.

vinegar is to kill Bactria and alcohol was a drying agent ?

• furbabymum
    June 24, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Excuse me? Are you trying to argue with me or get the name of my ear cleaner?

Quoting SissyAnn141:

Quoting furbabymum:

• SissyAnn141
    June 26, 2012 at 6:27 AM

Quoting furbabymum:

Excuse me? Are you trying to argue with me or get the name of my ear cleaner?

Quoting SissyAnn141:

Quoting furbabymum:

Argue with you? No ?

Just asking for information .

Sorry, I offended you ♥♥♥♥

• CollinBayleeMom
    June 26, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I would check the food you are feeding.  If it has corn, wheat, or soy in it, he could be allergic or sensitive to it.

Dog Speak - Dog Training Forum

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN