The Beauty & Style Lounge

Cafe MichelleP
What Beauty Treatments Have You Given Up Since Becoming a Mom?
December 3, 2012 at 12:24 PM

5 Beauty Treatments You Can Kiss Goodbye Once You Have Kids

beauty treatmentsMoms, I want you to think back for a moment. Way back. Back to before you had kids. Back to when weekends meant sleeping in. Back to when you could take 45 minutes to dry and style your hair -- just 'cause you felt like it. Seems like another life, doesn't it? Well, technically, it is. At least from a beauty stand-point. It isn't about you anymore -- and your glossing and your waxing and your straightening. No sirree. It's all about the kids. All the time.

Here are 5 beauty treatments that are probably nothing but a distant memory if you have kids. Moms-to-be, take note. And, hey, don't freak out. Kids>primping any day.

Taking a looong time to style your hair. Before I had my daughter, sometimes, when my husband and I were going out, I'd take my time getting ready. Do things leisurely. Especially when it came to my hair. I'd dry, then curl, then maybe even experiment with some half-up/half-down situation. Why not? Didn't have much else to do. Now? Hahahahaha! Now, it's tousle and go, or forgo the hairdryer altogether. Silver lining: My hair's never been healthier!

Manicures. Whether you DIY or go to the salon (ha), you can say bye to pretty colored fingies when you have a new baby. Unless you've got a solid chunk of time on your hands, odds are they're going to get smudged up. Also, if you have a teething baby who likes to put your fingers in her mouth (hi), you probably don't want her sucking on nail polish.

Long, luxurious showers. When my daughter was first born -- and when I knew she'd be asleep for a while -- showers were my thing. A self-proclaimed "shower-hater" before, I learned to look forward to a super long, relaxing shower each day. Not only because it was "me" time, but because I didn't have much else to do. When I went back to work, though, that all went out the window. Now my showers are lightening fast (if, um, at all), because if I'm not ready by the time my daughter wakes up, I leave the house looking like an insane person. Sorry, co-workers!

Monthly bikini waxes. Not to get all TMI here, but bikini waxes are expensive. And unless you're a Real Housewife, when you have a kid, getting them as frequently as you did in the past probably isn't the best use of your money. (Plus, razors aren't the worse thing in the world. [No, though, they're not as good as waxing.])

Any kind of frivolous beauty treatment. Okay, so all beauty treatments are kind of frivolous, but I'm talking about the really frivolous ones. I used to occasionally get my lashes dyed black (it really does look good!), and the thought of spending the money (around $35) or time (around 45 minutes) or so on something so ridiculous seems insane now. If I have the time, I'd rather be taking a nap.

What beauty treatments have you given up since having a kid(s)?

Replies

• jellybeanjean
    December 3, 2012 at 12:35 PM

yeah I gave up manicures except for special occasions...also fake nails which I used to LOOOOOVE... I plan on bringing back manicures once DD is .....3ish and we can do our nails together hahaha.  

I also used to get eyelash extensions and hair extensions. LOL yeah i did fake everything...both are not very practical right now. Anyway I needed a break from the hair extensions for awhile anyway....and the eyelash extensions bothered me after awhile.

• Karenjm
    by Karenjm
    December 3, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Trimming my hair every 6 - 8 weeks :-(

• Gweneveer
    December 3, 2012 at 12:40 PM
    Regular trims, bikini waxes, I now color my hair at home instead, and only do pedicures I n the summer :(
  • erikays
    by erikays
    December 3, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    Haircut all the time and mani's, oh well.
  • momof3_dll
    December 3, 2012 at 3:27 PM

None, in fact I do more now than before I had kids

• mommaslilmen
    December 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM

actually didnt give any up (didn't do much beauty wise to start with), but started doing some! i actually wear makeup every once and awhile, and tweeze my eyebrows. still wear my hair up all the time since i cant stand my hair loose. oh and started painting my toes again.

• my4boys2002
    December 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    None since having kids I did give up monthly massages and body scrubs I just don't have the time every month I go every other now
  • sophiesmom07
    December 3, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Massages, facials. I haven't had any in years. 

• jenniferlee_12
    December 3, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    Make up everyday.
  • gridgal
    by gridgal
    December 7, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I'm taking my two little ones to a drop-in childcare place today to go get my hair cut/highlighted - alone. This routine every couple of months or so is pretty much what I've got left. Wouldn't trade having my kids for looking better though!

The Beauty & Style Lounge