Featured Posts
Cafe AmyS
Do you like wearing skirts?
November 21, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I saw this in The Stir and can definitely relate to skirt hatred, can you?

Confessions of a Curvy Woman: Why I Struggle With Skirts

Posted by Kylie McConville on November 20, 2012 

skirtAlmost as torturous as shopping for jeans is an event I'd like to call shopping for skirts. As with denim, you've got to find a style that fits you from the waist through the hip and legs ... aka impossible. The other problem with skirt shopping? You've got to slip into a size that flatters your figure, makes you feel chic and comfortable, and doesn't look baggy on your frame. It's a days work, I swear.

Factor in that every skirt fits every body differently and you've got the recipe for a dressing room disaster. I love pencil skirts, but the fit is always poor on my body. The style of a bodycon skirt is so svelte, fun, and form-fitting but still, it will never quite fit me like I wish it would. The same goes for a-line cuts, minis, and maxis. Shopping for a skirt will always challenge my self-confidence, so is it even worth it?

More from The Stir: Confessions of a Curvy Woman: Why I Hate Shopping for Jeans

The problem always comes back to my shape, which makes me feel like it's my problem. Either the fit is too tight through my hips, too short on my legs, or too baggy in my waist. If I'm lucky enough to find a skirt that hugs in all the right places, I worry that my legs look too stumpy or that there's not enough coverage. I just keep reminding myself this isn't just happening to me as I stare enviously at my 5'10, size 6, legs-for-days best friend.

I'm sure so many women will agree with me here. I want to feel sexy, feminine, and I want to wear clothes that emphasize just how proud I am of my shape (because hell, this is my body and I should be proud of it), but the end result always looks the same. It's always me, on the verge of tears, standing in a pool of ill-fitting skirts. So is it really freakin' worth the headache?

You might say Heeeeelllll no! But I'd have to disagree. One of the most incredible things about fashion, shopping, style, and fit is that it's all personal. I have to feel great in what I'm wearing. Me, me, me. It's one of the only times during the day where I really stop and consider how I feel about how I look. Though it might mean scouring the racks in desperate search of a skirt that fits, I'm committed to doing it.

What's the one thing you hate most when it comes to shopping? Let me know.

Replies

• MrsRi
    by MrsRi
    November 21, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I like skirts, but I can't wear them.  I'm too tall, knee skirts on everyone else are mini (mid sometimes high thigh) on me.  I hate going into changing booths, I'm too damn tall LOL, and I'm bigger on top of it.  I love shopping online.

• momof3_dll
    November 21, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    I like shirts, had to be A-line or pencil. I however hate shopping for dresses, I'm long waisted, smaller on bottom and larger on top. Hard to find dresses that fit right.
  • AgapeLove2U
    November 21, 2012 at 4:52 PM

i like longer skirts, i have a very hard time with shirts and dresses because of my bust, it usually wera skirts and tops are always too baggy :( i love button ups but i always get that gap in hte middle ugh :( i have broad shoulders and stick legs, lol

• DutchBaby12
    November 21, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Love skirts :) shorter ones, don't like long ones.

• AgapeLove2U
    November 21, 2012 at 4:54 PM

me too and it sux to find dresses, when it fits your top it is way to big in the middle and bottom, and if it fits great there the bust is too small, i buy alot of skirts because of this

Quoting momof3_dll:

I like shirts, had to be A-line or pencil. I however hate shopping for dresses, I'm long waisted, smaller on bottom and larger on top. Hard to find dresses that fit right.

• jellybeanjean
    November 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Love skirts. Don't really wear them around the house though...kind of pointless.

• Chillisarah
    November 21, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I used to hate wearing shirts and just showing off my legs in general but now I don't mind.

• QueenZ3
    by QueenZ3
    November 21, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I love wearing skirts. I just don't alot. I have been told that I have great legs, but I am not sure. I short ones and ones to the knees. I like long ones if they are tight to my body. 

• gerigirl90
    November 21, 2012 at 10:24 PM
    I can't stand tring on clothes at the stores. I have long legs and they look like chicken legs LOL. Plus my legs are ghostly white; emabrrassing white. My Dh wants me to wear more dresses but shopping for a dress, I can't stand it. I like short dresses and skirts but don't wear either too much. I don't go anywhere wear them at. I tell my Dh that and he doesn't understand why I don't want to wear dresses sitting around the house. I have to shop for one first of all and shopping for dresses (or jeans) is annoying. Then if i happen to find something, I need shoes to go with it. Right now, I don't have any dress shoes, so I would have to go shoe shopping too. Now, I love, love to shop, don't get me wrong but I just hate to shope for dresses. I like skirts better. They have to be short, not long. My favorite is jean skirts. I can dress up an outfit wearing a jean skirt or dress more casual. I like the options I have with jean skirts. I also hate tring on jeans. Awful LOL. Most of the time I will go ahead and buy the jeans or skirt and try them on at home, where I am comfortable and my Dh can tell me how they look (he is always honest about it, all though he likes everything I put on, so sometimes no help lol). Then I'll go and take them back and get my money back or exchange them. I am really picky about my clothes though. Extremely picky.
  • whitleypittman
    November 21, 2012 at 10:31 PM
    Not trying to sound cocky, but I can honestly say I don't have much trouble shopping for a skirt or dress. As long as I can look right into the mirror and not see my stomach first, I'm good.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts