Be honest, how many days a week do you go to get dressed with every intention of putting on a cute outfit -- only to break down and throw on yoga pants because they're just so darn comfy you can't help yourself?
All moms do it, because we're smart, and because it's a whole hell of a lot easier to manage the gazillion things we have to do on any given day if we aren't confined by zippers, buttons, and the like.
Just yesterday, I woke up and went to the closet and grabbed a pair of jeans, and then the work-at-home mom in me kicked in and said, "Wait a minute -- I'm not leaving the house today, so why waste a good pair of jeans? Yoga pants it is."
And you know what? I think they looked pretty darn good. I'll be the first to admit that I used to consider the traditional yoga pant "mom uniform" a bit on the frumpy side -- but lately, every time I see a mom out and about in her yoga gear, I look at her and think, "Wow. She looks so cute! Wonder where she got those pants ..."
Good news ladies, it seems that yoga pants aren't just for the gym anymore. Here are 20 other places you can wear them with pride and not feel like you're committing some huge fashion faux-pas.
More from The Stir: 5 Pieces of Clothing Every Mom Needs
- The airport -- Duh. Traveling and uncomfortable clothes just don't mix.
- The grocery store -- Yoga pants + stocking up on healthy foods = "I wanna be just like her."
- The bus stop -- A real no-brainer. It's early, it's cold, and you haven't had your shower yet.
- Soccer practice -- Because you never know when you'll be asked to step in and assist with coaching.
- The park -- Going down the slide with your kids is way easier in stretchy material.
- The doctor's office -- You're already sick (or your child is), so there's no need to get all formal.
- The hairdresser -- What if your stylist spills hair dye on your clothes? Yoga gear is much easier to wash.
- School pick-up -- Hey, you just worked out, right? No time to change before grabbing the kiddos.
- The spa -- Who wants to deal with rolling up tight jeans while getting a pedicure? No, thanks.
- The movies -- Um, hello? Nice clothes are a magnet for fake popcorn butter.
- The mall -- Trying on clothes is such a pain when you have too many buttons and zippers to undo. Yoga pants will help you save time so you can hit up more stores.
- Girls' night in -- You're headed to your friend's house for chick flicks and wine. Why bother getting all dolled up?
- The DMV -- Sitting or standing in line for hours requires pants you can easily shift positions in so your legs don't fall asleep.
- Road trips -- See #1.
- Out to breakfast -- Breakfast is casual, greasy, and you're probably going to eat a lot. It's best to be prepared.
- Out to lunch -- Still fairly casual, and people will assume you're headed to the gym afterwards.
- Out to dinner -- Well, as long as you're at a kid-friendly joint, yoga pants are perfectly acceptable. (Note: Do NOT wear them on date night, though.)
- Anywhere if it's laundry day -- Everything else is in the wash. That's your story and you're stickin' to it.
- Bowling -- Yeah, you need to be able to move if you're going to throw a strike.
- Bulk-shopping stores -- How on earth are you supposed to carry 200 boxes of macaroni and cheese if you don't have maximum flexibility?
Did I leave any places off this list? Where else can moms get away with yoga pants?
by GweneveerDecember 9, 2012 at 1:25 PM
I only wear mine to work and around the house. We have to wear either yoga pants or running pants as part of our uniform. Prior to being employed there, I never even owned a pair! lol
by kitty129December 9, 2012 at 1:55 PM
yeah. I do. I really like them
by Meloney413December 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM
Amen to that * .
I was raised to have pride in my appearance also.. But, more importantly I was raised to have very HIGH self esteem, worth and confidence;) Clothes don't make me, I make them. I am the same person and demand the same respect in a pair of juicy yoga pants or dressed in a business suit. I also receive the same response! My confidence has me dress with pride.
No way!!!!!!!!!! Never. And while some may feel they are appropriate for the places on your list, I completely disagree. I was raised to take pride in appearance, and I don't even sit around the house in yoga pants. I change into sweats right before bed and shower and dress first thing when I wake up.
O my gosh they are sooo comfortable. I think it depends on the type of yoga pants. The ones shown here, i think are more appropriate for working out only. They are very form fitting.
The ones i wear (I personally call them "pilate pants" since that is the exercise i prefer) are somewhat modest. If there were parts of me bulging out everywhere, no i would not wear them out.
Since it is very fast coming into winter here, no, i will wear them only if going directly to YMCA. But otherwise YES, they are wonderful.
by xoPxoDecember 9, 2012 at 2:16 PM
i wear them out and jogging pants also,i love love love stretchy soft fabrics! i am a comfort freak i guess, lol I also love the sports dresses that are out now, right up my alley If a woman feels comfortable in them , i say let her do what she wants and who cares what others think! They can always turn their head but i can see women talking to their friends whispering do you see her, blah blah blah
December 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM
I spend a lot of my time in my yoga pants lol but rarely do I wear them out of the house. I usually throw on a pair of jeans if I'm going anywhere, regardless of where.
I haven't worn yoga pants out of the house since university. I suppose if I ever get on my Rollerblades again i will. Other than than I don't think I will. Well maybe now that I am preggo i might hahaha .....but overall leggings have kind of replaced the yoga pants for me.
by ZangrilliDecember 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM
I couldn't give two craps about what I look like, or what others think about what I look like. I wear whatever the heck I feel comfortable in. Lately, that includes yoga pants and oversized sweatshirts.