Sewing Diaper Divas

MonicaV1982
extreme beginner!
January 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM

My husband got me a sewing machine (very basic) to try and make cloth diapers. I've never sewn in my life. I have a few questions.

1. What exactly do I need? (I have lots of receiving blankets and old tshirts for some parts)

2. I'm not a fan of pockets, but are they the easiest? My husband seems to think I should learn to make prefolds first.

Could I maybe get an example of a t-shirt diaper with exactly what I need to buy?

Replies

• Sarita33
    January 10, 2013 at 2:05 PM
    The easiest to start with is fitteds, but you would need a cover over them. I had never sewn before and I started with pocket diapers and did great. I find it easy just VERY time consuming.

Check out the stickys for info, patterns and tutorials, and I will come back in a bit to answer you better when I am home.

Welcome to the group!
  • .Angelica.
    January 11, 2013 at 3:23 AM

I started out making pockets. I had not sewn a single thing in my life before starting. youtube helped greatly. I watched soo many videos of how to sew. Also there is lots of great info in this group in the sticky posts. I now make AI2's and fitteds and hate making pockets now. lol

• MonicaV1982
    January 11, 2013 at 3:26 AM

I think I'm terrified of failing and looking like an idiot. I already feel like a bad wife when my husband is teaching me to sew!

Quoting .Angelica.:

I started out making pockets. I had not sewn a single thing in my life before starting. youtube helped greatly. I watched soo many videos of how to sew. Also there is lots of great info in this group in the sticky posts. I now make AI2's and fitteds and hate making pockets now. lol

• .Angelica.
    January 11, 2013 at 3:32 AM

i think the first few things you do may not look well but practice makes perfect and I know I personally continue to get better every time!

Quoting MonicaV1982:

I think I'm terrified of failing and looking like an idiot. I already feel like a bad wife when my husband is teaching me to sew!

Quoting .Angelica.:

• perfect01
    January 11, 2013 at 3:45 AM

Don't feel like a bad wife, you are a good wife since you are so willing to learn you'll even let him teach you, lol!  I have sewn since I was a little girl, so it isn't a fair comparison, but I thought making fitted AI2's was pretty easy.  The easiest to put together without having to turn and topstitch would be a 2 layer cover made from PUL with fold over elastic (FOE) to sew it together and gather where it needs to be gathered.  Here is a picture of one I made for a dolly, but it is the same thing with a diaper cover.  Oh, and by the way, I would not make prefolds, but then I hate prefolds.  I prefer the peanut shaped inserts.  This is an AIO that I used Warm & Natural batting and 2 layers of flannel in.  It was for a baby alive doll so I didn't worry a lot about it being to absorbant.  It is a preemie size diaper.

• Hannahsmommy816
    January 11, 2013 at 12:48 PM

youtube.com will also be your friend! i have found a few good beginner tutorials on there. good luck!

OS pockets are pretty simple to make

• perfect01
    January 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I've learned so much from youtube!  Mostly before I found this group, lol!  It helped me convert BG 3.0 from velcro to snap - 15 diapers and no thumb nails left later, I figured out I use my thumbs more for tools than you would ever think!  I am so thankful for the many people who are so willing to share their knowledge.  I just got that really happy feeling just thinking about it.

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

youtube.com will also be your friend! i have found a few good beginner tutorials on there. good luck!

• MonicaV1982
    January 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I'm watching youtube and looking at the tutorials on here. I'm still overwhelmed by all of what's available. I just need specific instructions as to exactly what to buy. I don't even know how to set my machine. Heck my dad used to hand sew buttons for me. I asked for the sewing machine and now I'm scared to use it. I have problems with coordination and I'm afraid of messing up. :(

Quoting perfect01:

I've learned so much from youtube!  Mostly before I found this group, lol!  It helped me convert BG 3.0 from velcro to snap - 15 diapers and no thumb nails left later, I figured out I use my thumbs more for tools than you would ever think!  I am so thankful for the many people who are so willing to share their knowledge.  I just got that really happy feeling just thinking about it.

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

• MonicaV1982
    January 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM

It's hard because I need to know EXACTLY what to buy and I need concise step by step directions with pictures. I'm ADD and too many words is hard to deal with.

Quoting perfect01:

Don't feel like a bad wife, you are a good wife since you are so willing to learn you'll even let him teach you, lol!  I have sewn since I was a little girl, so it isn't a fair comparison, but I thought making fitted AI2's was pretty easy.  The easiest to put together without having to turn and topstitch would be a 2 layer cover made from PUL with fold over elastic (FOE) to sew it together and gather where it needs to be gathered.  Here is a picture of one I made for a dolly, but it is the same thing with a diaper cover.  Oh, and by the way, I would not make prefolds, but then I hate prefolds.  I prefer the peanut shaped inserts.  This is an AIO that I used Warm & Natural batting and 2 layers of flannel in.  It was for a baby alive doll so I didn't worry a lot about it being to absorbant.  It is a preemie size diaper.

• perfect01
    January 11, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Here's the link on Cuties with Cloth Booties group where they give a tutorial with pictures about using a t-shirt for a diaper.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/34752/forums/read/13313548/Stretch_Your_Diaper_Stash_aka_How_to_use_a_Tshirt_as_a_CD_Pics_links

Sewing Diaper Divas

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN