Sewing Diaper Divas

notjstanothrmom
Looking for newborn/small pattern
January 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I'd like to make some newborn diapers that will be trim but allow some room for growth. I would love to find something that is already converted, but if not a pattern for a small diaper that I can convert into a newborn-small myself.

I am licenced for La Di Da, but I don't want to have to worry about adding more snaps or length to the tabs.

My ideal weight range is from about 7-18 lbs. but anything up to 15 would be good.

Thanks in advance!

And I did check out the sticky but everything was either OS, newborn, or the links were not working.

Replies

• perfect01
    January 1, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I printed the newborn and then put snaps for a drop of 1" on the rise + an umbellical cord snap down in the center.  The small fits 12 to 22 lbs.  Our little one at 11 mos. is still wearing the smalls.

• notjstanothrmom
    January 1, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Very cute! What length elastic do you use if you use polybraid?

Quoting perfect01:

I printed the newborn and then put snaps for a drop of 1" on the rise + an umbellical cord snap down in the center.  The small fits 12 to 22 lbs.  Our little one at 11 mos. is still wearing the smalls.

• notjstanothrmom
    January 1, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Also, do you think if I took the small pattern and used adjsutable leg elastic that it would be small enough to fit a newbie? I would also like to make it a pocket, is there enough stuffing room for that?

Quoting perfect01:

The free pattern from Little Comet Tails (Tighty Whitey Hipster)  x-sm is for 7 to 15 lbs.  I made some recently with a single snap down to make them small enough for a tiny newborn (more along the size of the preemie pattern).  We love the trim fit and easy way of snapping this one.

• perfect01
    January 1, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I don't measure the elastic because I use lastin elastic - I just pull it as much as I can as I 4 step zigzag it.  As far as making it a pocket, this pattern is actually for an AIO.  The inner layer is actually cut 1/2" smaller than the outer to make a cupping effect.  I make it into an AI2 with a wipe out interior and snap in insert.  It is pretty narrow in the crotch, so trying to stuff an insert into a pocket is going to be an issue I think.  I am making O/S from Arfy now and adding another row of snaps for a nb rise.  Here is a picture of the difference in size of it at its smallest and the Tighty whitey snapped down to preemie.  I think that might work better for you to make a nb pocket with adjustable legs.  The link is 

#mce_temp_url#

go to OS 3 x3 roundwing.  Elastic on the legs of this O/S is 6" & the back is 5" with polybraid.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Also, do you think if I took the small pattern and used adjsutable leg elastic that it would be small enough to fit a newbie? I would also like to make it a pocket, is there enough stuffing room for that?

Quoting perfect01:

The free pattern from Little Comet Tails (Tighty Whitey Hipster)  x-sm is for 7 to 15 lbs.  I made some recently with a single snap down to make them small enough for a tiny newborn (more along the size of the preemie pattern).  We love the trim fit and easy way of snapping this one.

• notjstanothrmom
    January 1, 2013 at 7:47 PM

You're amazing! Thank you!

Quoting perfect01:

I don't measure the elastic because I use lastin elastic - I just pull it as much as I can as I 4 step zigzag it.  As far as making it a pocket, this pattern is actually for an AIO.  The inner layer is actually cut 1/2" smaller than the outer to make a cupping effect.  I make it into an AI2 with a wipe out interior and snap in insert.  It is pretty narrow in the crotch, so trying to stuff an insert into a pocket is going to be an issue I think.  I am making O/S from Arfy now and adding another row of snaps for a nb rise.  Here is a picture of the difference in size of it at its smallest and the Tighty whitey snapped down to preemie.  I think that might work better for you to make a nb pocket with adjustable legs.  The link is 

#mce_temp_url#

go to OS 3 x3 roundwing.  Elastic on the legs of this O/S is 6" & the back is 5" with polybraid.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting perfect01:

• perfect01
    January 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Oops, back elastic on the O/S 3 x 3 Roundwing is 4" not 5.  Sorry, typo.

Sewing Diaper Divas

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts