Moms with Teens

3mom627
Swine Flu
by 3mom627
September 1, 2009 at 8:53 PM

This may be a stupid question, but is anyone else out there concerned about the swine flu?  I really wasn't too concerned about it until my 14 year old son came home from school yesterday feeling sick.  He had a headache, and is all congested.  He is not running a fever, but felt warm to the touch yesterday.  Anyhow, I asked the school nurse what exactly is the swine flu and how would anyone know if their child had it?  She said the only way is to take them to the dr.'s and they run a culture and a temperature.   How serious is this flu and is anyone else concerned?  Or am I being a hypochondriac?  I have two other teens in the same school.  Is this something the school will let us know if there is a problem or what?

Replies

• RaiderMommy
    September 2, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Please dont freak out. Swine flu works itself out much like any other flu. As a matter of fact I just got over it. (Along with my 11 yr old  and 16 mo, my oldest son and husband never caught it). It's symptoms are similar to the regular flu,headache, body aches, fever, cough,etc. You can take him in to get it swabbed and checked, but by the time the results come back (as long as  7-10 days) he will be over it. 

Here they wont even swab you because its already been determined that the only strain of flu in the area is H1N1. So if you have the flu its that one. Rest, drink fluids, cough into your shoulder or arm. You may call your local health department and see what information they have gathered thus far. 

I know the media and CDC even has put alarm in us by announcing the number affected and unfortunately deaths. But it isnt much different than any other strain of flu. It only becomes deadly in those with compromised immune systems or respiratory issues. Good thing is once you have it, you are unlikely to become sick with it or a variant of it again for a good 10-15 yrs!

• Momforhealth
    September 2, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I have decided to get my kids the flu shot this year.

Here is an article I was reading about the flu shot.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/body/flu_vaccine.html

• SophiaofLight
    September 2, 2009 at 5:53 PM

I have mixed feelings about it. I've tried not to over react but here in WA we have had people that are not reacting to the tamiflu medication they give and a lady in her 30's died from Swine Flu. So I am paying more attention to the news now. But I am also uneasy about getting the vacination because it's so new.

I know they are also asking the kids to bring their own Purell hand wash to school and wash hands often.

• sapphiresoda
    September 2, 2009 at 6:00 PM

I'm not sure what to think about swine flu, honestly.

• krissylea77
    September 2, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Quoting RaiderMommy:

Please dont freak out. Swine flu works itself out much like any other flu. As a matter of fact I just got over it. (Along with my 11 yr old  and 16 mo, my oldest son and husband never caught it). It's symptoms are similar to the regular flu,headache, body aches, fever, cough,etc. You can take him in to get it swabbed and checked, but by the time the results come back (as long as  7-10 days) he will be over it. 

Here they wont even swab you because its already been determined that the only strain of flu in the area is H1N1. So if you have the flu its that one. Rest, drink fluids, cough into your shoulder or arm. You may call your local health department and see what information they have gathered thus far. 

I know the media and CDC even has put alarm in us by announcing the number affected and unfortunately deaths. But it isnt much different than any other strain of flu. It only becomes deadly in those with compromised immune systems or respiratory issues. Good thing is once you have it, you are unlikely to become sick with it or a variant of it again for a good 10-15 yrs!

I totally agree!  I work in the ER  and the media has completely gotten everyone WAY too freaked out about this.   It's the flu, yes you get sick, yes you have a fever, yes you have a cough, but yes you also get over it.  Don't get me wrong, I realize people have died from it, but people have died from all different strains of the flu.  Obviously if your immune system is compromised to begin with, you will have a more difficult time getting over it.   But, typically if you are a normally healthy person, H1N1 should not be a lot different than any other strain of the flu.  It's just a matter of taking care of your self and making sure you get any medical attention you may need.  I'm not trying to sound cold, but every night we have  people come in to the ER freaked out because they say they have "flu like symptons", when I ask them, what kind of symptons they are having, they say, nausea, and vomiting, and body aches.   Symptons of H1N1 include fever greater than 100 degrees, AND one or more of the following  cough, nasal congestion, sore throat, or runny nose.  The best way to deal with H1N1 is not to go into a panic, but to go see your regular doctor if there are questions about what kind of symptoms you are having.  Sorry to sound like I'm on a tirade, but the media frustrates me when they cause people to panic by making a bigger deal out of something than what needs to be.

• rkoloms
    by rkoloms
    September 2, 2009 at 8:50 PM

I freaked out when my daughter had H1N1 in May. Truly, it was not a big deal. She had a fever for 3.5 days, the highest was 102.5; the cough and congestion lasted a few days longer;she had one really gross and scary bloody nose.

Contact me offlist if you have any questions.

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN