Moms with Teens

Mommyx308
What time is your child's curfew and should it matter boy/girl??
May 5, 2009 at 8:56 AM

When I was at home I had a curfew of 10:00 on school nights and 11:00 on weekends. This continued even when I was home from college on break which I thought was rediculous. My younger brother, on the other hand, never really had a curfew. What's the difference???

Replies

• momaof8
    by momaof8
    May 5, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Eleven at night and no it doesn't matter boy or girl. Age is another factor though mine are 17 and 19

• 2protectivemom
    May 5, 2009 at 10:24 AM

We're so busy with ballgames, that my kids don't really do anything else.  If they were to go somewhere,  my son would have to be in by 10 on weeknights, and 12 on weekends, and my daughters 9 on weeknights and 11 on weekends.  They are just totally different kids and Q can go to bed late and get up early with no problem, but the girls can't.  He also takes 5 minutes in the shower, and they are in the bathroom forever so we have to allow time for that.   The boy/girl thing does matter in my house, but it is more of a maturity/responsibility thing than having to do with their sex. 

• nojomommy07
    May 5, 2009 at 4:51 PM

When I was a teen...I had an 11:30 pm curfew on weekend..which i could push to about midnight if I were siting outside my house by 11 or so.  My son isn't old enough to be out with friends a lot, but he usually needs to be home by 10 or 10:30.  Weeknights, he's home by dinner.  Unless there was something specific planned. 

• wvnative
    May 5, 2009 at 5:23 PM

As long as she has a morning class (or if she needs a ride form me in the morning) her weeknight curfew is 10 pm. Weekends is midnight. I see letting the weekend curfews go a bit later after she graduates though.

• canadiangirl5
    May 6, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Girls or boys the curfew should not be any different.

I always had a curfew growing up and it was very strict. My son is 15 and has to come home right after school. He can go out after school and he does sometimes. If he goes out during the week it's just to his girlfriends house and he has to be home at 9:30. Weekends they hang out here or at her house. They go to the movies sometimes on the weekend and they are dropped off and picked up. They aren't old enough to be out running around. If they have no good reason to be out they aren't.

• TheFriskyKitty
    May 6, 2009 at 10:33 AM

I do not believe in SOCIAL activities "hanging out at stores and with friends" on a school week when they have homework and other things to do therefore, until they are a senior in high school the curfew is, you come home immediately after the last after school activitiy you have (dance, church meets, majorete practice, performances) and do your homework and go to bed.

On weekends well yes, it is logical to have a curfew I think the curfew should vary based on age not boy/girl.

• tracylynnr67
    May 6, 2009 at 11:21 AM

On school nights my sons, who are both in the 11th grade (they are 18 and 17) have to be home by 8p unless they have a track meet or work because they have homework that needs done. During the summer they have to be home by 11p on weeknights. Their weekend (Friday and Saturday) curfew is midnight. They have to have very clear plans in order to go out, though. If they don't have clear plans then they stay home. There's no aimless cruising looking for something to do. They also have to check in while they are out. This curfew will be their curfew until they graduate next year. My older 2 sons had the same curfew when they were Juniors and Seniors. I only have sons but if I had a daughter she'd have the same curfew.

• luckied
    by luckied
    May 6, 2009 at 2:11 PM

My son does not have a curfew right now, we always pretty much know where he is.  On school night he usually goes to sleep at 10 since he gets up for weight training so no issues w/ being out late.  The weekends we just play by ear, but he is usually not far from home so no worries.

I do not think it matters boy/girl or really the age.  I think every child is different and some show more responsibility than others.  I think it should be based on the situation of what they want to do and the child themselves.

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts