Moms with Teens

stacieleediugui
Having problems with my daughters teacher
March 18 at 3:52 AM
My daughter has ADHD and she's in 5th grade and I asked the teacher if she can just make sure that my daughter writes down her homework so I can make sure she does it at home.she said no that was not her job.When I asked her if I could have a meeting with her and the principal she said absolutely not .he has no say so on how she runs her class.

Replies

• neveragain17
    March 18 at 3:54 AM
    Do you have an IEP?
  • stacieleediugui
    March 18 at 4:12 AM
    No no but I am have written an email to the principal and to the school board asking for a 504
  • neveragain17
    March 18 at 4:15 AM
    Oh ok. If you have an IEP it's law! Maybe you should talk to the principal about how to get one.

Quoting stacieleediugui: No no but I am have written an email to the principal and to the school board asking for a 504
  • HopesNDreams
    March 18 at 5:33 AM
    Depending on how severe her academic issues are, either a 504 plan or an IEP could address it. Once it is written in, it then becomes the teacher's job to make sure she writes it down.

I find it strange that no one wants to take that simple step before going to the next level. Usually schools like to avoid it if they can.
  • atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    March 18 at 8:37 AM
    I guess by then the kids should have been used to doing it for years and it is time to be doing it themselves. If she has an IEP or 504 then yes. Otherwise the teacher was correct in not reminding. They will be in middle school next year.
  • mjande4
    by mjande4
    March 18 at 9:17 AM

I have to side with the teacher on this.  Your daughter is going off to middle school in a few months.  This is HER responsibility, not the teacher's.  Your expectations are out of whack.  Maybe get your daughter a watch that has a timer as a reminder.

• Hannahluvsdogs
    March 18 at 10:12 AM

Quoting HopesNDreams:  I find it strange that no one wants to take that simple step before going to the next level. Usually schools like to avoid it if they can.

It's because accommodations come with a ton of paperwork and most school psychologists are already overworked. Plus ADHD alone usually only qualifies for a 504 plan and that doesn't come with extra money for the school to pay for accommodations like an IEP does.

• mamavalor
    March 18 at 10:18 AM

Best to talk to your daughter and come up with a strategy on your own.  Life is going to have to be this way so best to start now.

You may request that she be placed in an inclusion class  next year where things like teacher checking in on the student for things like writing down assignments are just part of the day.

• HopesNDreams
    March 18 at 10:24 AM
    No, I meant that no one wants to take the simple step of reminding her before going through the ton of paperwork. Most districts are willing to have their teachers do basic accommodations like reminders, notes on desks, email communications with parents, etc without the formalities of 504s or IEPs.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Quoting HopesNDreams: 

I find it strange that no one wants to take that simple step before going to the next level. Usually schools like to avoid it if they can.

It's because accommodations come with a ton of paperwork and most school psychologists are already overworked. Plus ADHD alone usually only qualifies for a 504 plan and that doesn't come with extra money for the school to pay for accommodations like an IEP does.

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    March 18 at 10:34 AM
    Actually OP's dd could write her own sticky note reminders. At that age seeing this should remind her. If not she is in a world of hurt in middle school and beyond.

Quoting HopesNDreams: No, I meant that no one wants to take the simple step of reminding her before going through the ton of paperwork. Most districts are willing to have their teachers do basic accommodations like reminders, notes on desks, email communications with parents, etc without the formalities of 504s or IEPs.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Quoting HopesNDreams: 

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts