Moms with Teens

ConnieBonjiovi
Advice Needed: My 18 yo son is home from being gone 1...
November 11, 2013 at 2:07 PM

My 18 yo son is home from being gone 1 1/2 months at boot camp. He was discharged for medical reasons. He is not motivated to do anything! We have talked to him several times regarding getting a job, do something with friends,etc. but he won't. Any suggestions?

Replies

• lkane81
    by lkane81
    November 11, 2013 at 2:10 PM
    He might .br depressed about being discharged. The biggest thing is to make sure he knows there are other thing he can still do. Military isn't the only job or career out there.
  • atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    November 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM
    Give him a timeline to get a job and get moving. Talk to him about possible depression.
  • luckysevenwow
    November 11, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Discharged for medical reasons? That's not easy to do, so whats going on?

• proudmother5946
    November 11, 2013 at 11:07 PM
    My son was discharged from Marine boot camp for medical reasons. He was bummed about it. But he got over it. Personally I never wanted him in the military. Marines were the only ones who would take him. Too big for a tank, submarine or an airplane. He's 6'9".
  • boys2men2soon
    November 11, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Quoting luckysevenwow:

It isn't hard nowadays.   The military would rather weed out the high risk recruits early on, offer them a medical discharge which often has no benefits.    A medical discharge is lots better than a dishonorable, and the military does not spend $$$$ in lifetime benefits.

• boys2men2soon
    November 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

Give him a timeline to get a job and get moving. Talk to him about possible depression.

Agreed.

• OvrMyHead
    November 11, 2013 at 11:54 PM
    Maybe a therapist?

I would say to take away internet, cable, phone, etcetera. What is he doing all day?
  • luckysevenwow
    November 12, 2013 at 12:09 AM
    I know this, but there is usually some truth behind the medical discharge. My nephew got out on the same thing, and while I don't think it was 'enough' to get out on, it wasn't to far off. Just not as severe as it was made out to be.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Quoting luckysevenwow:

It isn't hard nowadays.   The military would rather weed out the high risk recruits early on, offer them a medical discharge which often has no benefits.    A medical discharge is lots better than a dishonorable, and the military does not spend $$$$ in lifetime benefits.

• fantasticfour
    November 12, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Sounds to me like he is really upset about being sent home due to medical conditions.  If he was interested in the military perhaps this is a blow to his self esteem.

• suesues
    by suesues
    November 12, 2013 at 7:19 AM

can military help maybe something happened there that he cant share with you see a dr 

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts