Moms with Teens

Kirsten3
17 yr. old and adderall
October 7, 2013 at 3:01 PM
I just read a text from my son to another kid asking him for adderall . I had his cell to be fixed and it popped up saying: I dont have any adderall. So i read them all. He is asking to buy them. Not Sure If he is taking them or selling. I read the warnings and side effects, scary. How would u approach this with ur child?

Replies

• sfigu16
    by sfigu16
    October 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM

here is a bump! 

I would ask him honestly, my DF's brother used to take adderall and he was starting to abuse it . It is scary..

• 3mom627
    by 3mom627
    October 7, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Flat out ask him and if you suspect he is lying, keep asking until you feel you have the truth. My son takes a form of Adderall and it is a very powerful drug. It is becoming very abused lately.

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    October 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM
    Ask him. Think about rehab or drug awareness.
  • Kirsten3
    October 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM
    I asked him and he said he took it a few times ( during his sat test and another chem test) I m just disappointed in his actions. No cell phone and no social life till I see fit. Also made him read the side effects and discussed it with him. Hope he gets it. SMH .....
  • bizzeemom2717
    Jen
    October 7, 2013 at 11:49 PM
    If you notice any behavior changes, ect take him in for a substance abuse evaluation it's highly addictive. Also WHY does he feel the need to take this before tests? Is he having a problem in school. Oh and on our state it's also a class A felony I would def inform him prescription fraud is usually a felony

Quoting Kirsten3:

I asked him and he said he took it a few times ( during his sat test and another chem test) I m just disappointed in his actions. No cell phone and no social life till I see fit. Also made him read the side effects and discussed it with him. Hope he gets it. SMH .....
  • GleekingOut
    October 8, 2013 at 1:27 AM
    Personally I'd strip his room down to virtually nothing along with inspecting his bag/clothes/phone daily along with counselling. But that's just me...I'm very anti drugs
  • juno1
    by juno1
    October 8, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I would warn him that he is playing with fire both physically and legally.  These kids are very nonchalant these days about prescription drugs and think that because some people take it legally, no harm can really come to them from it.  Unfortunately, teenagers, as a whole, live in that 'nothing can happen to me' mode, until it's too late.  I would talk with him about the side effects, what could happen, ask him what effect it is that he is looking for. Figure out why and how often he is using.  This is where you will get a feel for what type of program might be appropriate....drug awareness? Drug abuse?

I would end our conversation with..."besides all that, It is against the law.  You can be prosecuted under state and federal law  and when you turn 18, you can be prosecuted as an adult."  

As far as the woman who suggested stripping his room... there is no point to that. you need to keep lines of communication between the two of you open. After all, you want him talking to you about this rather than his friends. He will be 18 very soon and then all the rules change.  

Adderall is primarily prescribed for ADHD these days. My son, now 19 has ADHD and has been taking it since he was 12. (off and on...not on weekends and not when school is out.)

It is one of those triplicate prescriptions and if you are found using it without a bonafide prescription you can be prosecuted under both state and federal law. In addition, there are some potentially serious side effects that can occur....and if a teen prescribes to the 'more is more' theory, and takes too  much, there can be some pretty horrible consequences.

From what I understand, the draw of adderall for the 'average' highschool/college student is that there is an increased ability to focus, lack of appetite ( for those wanting to lose weight) and a sense of euphoria.  The interesting thing is that for those with ADHD, (as with my son and other kids I have known throughout the years), is that for them it is really about the increased ability to focus which they simply can't do on their own, they do not feel a sense of euphoria, rather, many of them report their senses feeling dulled... they don't feel like themselves....they've lost the color in their lives ( which is how one young man put it).  This is why you find so many who actually need the prescription only using it when they really need to.

In terms of it being addicting it doesn't present like the heroin addict 'jonesing' for a fix.  People who use adderall, as I mentioned above, can take it for weeks and then stop for weeks, with very little, if any, withdrawal effect.  The draw is much more psychological.  It doesn't mean it isn't addicting. What it means is that there might be an addiction but you may not see obvious signs....

good luck 

• boys2men2soon
    October 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I would confront him and explain the risks involved.  Print out the information and sit him down and read it to him.     So many students treat Adderall as if it is no different than espresso!   It is a controlled substance for a reason!

Moms with Teens