Moms with Teens

Northwest_angel
I just found out my daughter makes herself throw up.
October 3, 2013 at 1:53 AM

I just found out tonight that my 14 year old daughter has been skipping lunch at school and making herself throw up 1 to 2 times a day for the past month. I am so scared for her and just feel lost. I am sot sure how to handle this one. I told her that I love her and that I am always here for her. We talked and I was able to hold back my tears until after she went to bed. I am scared for her. Have any of you gone threw something like this? What did you do to help your daughter? What should I say to her? What kind of outside help should I seek for her?

Replies

• proudmother5946
    October 3, 2013 at 4:07 AM
    Don't wait. Make an appointment with her pediatrician. They can help you find a therapist that deals with this issue.
  • GleekingOut
    October 3, 2013 at 4:44 AM

Make an appointment ASAP. I implimented a rule with my daughter when I found her (attempting) to do this that she was not allowed alone in the bathroom for 45 minutes after she ate... I'm not sure how you can supervise her lunch though...

• woodswalker
    October 3, 2013 at 6:16 AM

Therapy!   Your pedi should be able to recommend a good therapist.  Sadly, they see this often.   Hugs to you.   Im sorry about what you're going through.  

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    October 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM
    Therapy right away. Many places will make an emergency appt today.
  • drfink
    by drfink
    October 3, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Tharapy .Call today.

Good luck

• MrsBLB
    by MrsBLB
    October 3, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I agree with the others.  Therapy now.  Hugs and good luck

• juno1
    by juno1
    October 3, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Bring her to the doctor...straight away.  I worked in a hospital which specialized in eating disorders.  You don't want to try and handle this on your own.  Your doc should be able to recommend a therapist who specializes in anorexia/bulimia.  There are many, potentially, serious health issues that can transpire due to the throwing up.  Most of the time this does not clear up on its own.  And please know...she may tell you not to worry that she has it under control and she won't do it anymore...don't believe her. Usually the last thing they want to do is stop...it becomes almost compulsive.  They are also, because of the compulsion,  amazingly adept in covering their tracks.  Jump on this...it is still early in the game.  Prayers with you...good luck. 

• bizzeemom2717
    Jen
    October 3, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

Therapy right away. Many places will make an emergency appt today.

This and you can start with her doctor and school for a rec

• mommersx4
    October 3, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I know how helpless you must feel. 2 years ago my son was cutting and burning himself. He no longer does that, after tons of therapy. My advice, be very proactive.

• PinkButterfly66
    October 3, 2013 at 6:35 PM

She needs a therapist.  Call your peditrician for a referral.  

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts