Moms with Teens

mommersx4
Another call from my son's high school.
October 2, 2013 at 7:50 PM
My son had an angry outburst with one of his teachers. He pushed over her book shelves and swore at her. Last week he let a girl pierce his nose at school and when a assistant principal told him to stop he swore at him. My son is bipolar, and has an anxiety disorder, is on meds and usually a very sweet boy, but has such angry outbursts. Last summer I posted how he punched a fist through a random car window. He has an IEP and is in ED classes at school. I am so scared for him. He has no male role model. His dad is not in his life at all. He sees a therapist of course, but I don't think she is helping him much.

Replies

• luckysevenwow
    October 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM

He's clearly not on the right meds. He may even need to be in a placement type setting with 24 hour care, and help.

• boys2men2soon
    October 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Maybe look into another therapist?   It sounds like he needs behavioral therapy?     How about a mentoring program, like Big Brothers?   I don't know much about the organization, but a role model is important.  Are there any males in his life?    Grandpa?  Uncles?

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    October 2, 2013 at 8:08 PM
    This

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Maybe look into another therapist?   It sounds like he needs behavioral therapy?     How about a mentoring program, like Big Brothers?   I don't know much about the organization, but a role model is important.  Are there any males in his life?    Grandpa?  Uncles?

• mommersx4
    October 2, 2013 at 8:16 PM

The psychiatrist and therapist he was assigned by our insurance are clearly not helping. I am so worried about his future. He has no males in his life. His father pretty much deserting him after he was remarried did not help things. He has been in a psychiatric hospital twice for 3 days each time after he hurt himself. He was diagnosed there and his meds have been changed a few times.

• bizzeemom2717
    Jen
    October 2, 2013 at 11:55 PM
    He needs another psych eval, things arevt working with his school/behavior plan. I would request one ASAP
  • mommersx4
    October 3, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Do you mean at school? Part of the IEP?

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

He needs another psych eval, things arevt working with his school/behavior plan. I would request one ASAP

• bizzeemom2717
    Jen
    October 3, 2013 at 1:36 AM
    I was actually thinking a medical psych about new meds, ect.

Quoting mommersx4:

Do you mean at school? Part of the IEP?

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

• drfink
    by drfink
    October 3, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

yes !

• mommersx4
    October 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Yes, he was suspended for the rest of the week. I am taking off work to do that.

Quoting drfink:

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

yes !

• drfink
    by drfink
    October 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Quoting mommersx4:

The psychiatrist and therapist he was assigned by our insurance are clearly not helping. I am so worried about his future. He has no males in his life. His father pretty much deserting him after he was remarried did not help things. He has been in a psychiatric hospital twice for 3 days each time after he hurt himself. He was diagnosed there and his meds have been changed a few times.

It will be a pain but you may need to call your ins co. and request different referrals.Be prepared to calmly explain why you feel these current refferals are not working.Write it all down so that you won't be caught unaware.Continue to politely ask for the next supervisor till you get someone with authority.

Several years ago my daughter slipped on spilled water as a counselor and tore her rotator cuff.She also plays golf for her college.We had to go through the companies workmans comp ins. ,our insurance kicked to them.The first group of docs and pts were awful.It took time,effort and gritting my teeth but she was re assigned to a great group.Hang in there maybe you can get new referrals.It is worth a try .Good luck.

Moms with Teens