Moms with Teens

SUPERMOM2536
Seeking advice for high school teenager
September 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Hi my name is Angel and i would like to meet other parents of teenage boys.MY son is 15yrs old and now in fourth form of a High flier High school in my country but as of late he lost interest in his school work and is always on his computer playing fifa.He gets home from school get something to eat and straight to his computer.I need to know how i can help him without we getting into a fight all the time.Do other parents experience the same?i would appreciate if i am not alone.I cannot take fighting with him anymore.please help. Oh i forgot to mention I am a single parent who works and also have a 2 yrs old todller to deal with.

THANK YOU.

Replies

• SUPERMOM2536
    September 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Can someone tell me how can my loving and caring son gone to distant and resentful son?He hardly speak to me and if i try 2 get 2 close he shuts me out by pluging his ears with his earphone listening to music.

• lucky2Beeme
    September 16, 2013 at 2:21 PM

we had contracts with our boys. In it included school work is priority. Not making a 1 in effort, doing an assignment, not turning one in = loss of sport uniform. Make yours loss of computer.

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    September 16, 2013 at 2:24 PM
    Take the computer. No gaming on school nights. Should have been that way all along.
  • SUPERMOM2536
    September 16, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Thank you guys for the advice.will you know the outcome.

• drfink
    by drfink
    September 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM

They have given great advice.Be sure to follow through.Consistency is the key.

• boys2men2soon
    September 16, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Quoting drfink:

They have given great advice.Be sure to follow through.Consistency is the key.

I agree!

• my2kidsmom9498
    September 16, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Why should there not be gaming on a school night?  Time management is an important skill.  What will happen to that kid when he is dropped off at college without these skills?  Sorry, it may have to be taken for a while, but, learning to deal with distractions while living at home is essential for later.  Come up with a plan WITH your son. 

Quoting atlmom2:

Take the computer. No gaming on school nights. Should have been that way all along.

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    September 16, 2013 at 11:34 PM
    Time management can be taught without video games. Mine are 19 and 22 and have those skills and had no video games on school nights. Mine were in hs before we ever owned a gaming system.

Quoting my2kidsmom9498:

Why should there not be gaming on a school night?  Time management is an important skill.  What will happen to that kid when he is dropped off at college without these skills?  Sorry, it may have to be taken for a while, but, learning to deal with distractions while living at home is essential for later.  Come up with a plan WITH your son. 

Quoting atlmom2:

• my2kidsmom9498
    September 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM

But her kid LIKES video games.  What the distraction is really does not matter.  It is the skill to be taught to balance fun with school, chores, sports and other activities.  The point was that, not the gaming systems.  And, the kid is 15, he is high school aged. 

Quoting atlmom2:

Time management can be taught without video games. Mine are 19 and 22 and have those skills and had no video games on school nights. Mine were in hs before we ever owned a gaming system.

Quoting my2kidsmom9498:

Quoting atlmom2:

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    September 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM
    He can't seem to make it work so why not take them away. Mine learned in hs and didn't need to play games to learn time management. If he learns it, then give video games back. If not, OP needs to not give them back. Plus he is arguing also. He needs discipline for that.

Quoting my2kidsmom9498:

But her kid LIKES video games.  What the distraction is really does not matter.  It is the skill to be taught to balance fun with school, chores, sports and other activities.  The point was that, not the gaming systems.  And, the kid is 15, he is high school aged. 

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting my2kidsmom9498:

Quoting atlmom2:

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts