Moms with Teens

Reina13
Do your kids compete?
by Reina13
September 16, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Yesterday afternoon we were watching the 'Manning Bowl'. If you aren't familiar with that, it is a football game between the Denver Broncos and New York Giants. The respective quarterbacks from each team are brothers. They don't meet very often as they in different conferences but when they do, it is given a lot of attention and press. In February the superbowl was played by two teams whose  head coaches were also brothers.

I started thinking about how they now compete as adults and wondered if they always competed as kids.

Do your kids compete against OR with each other in any of the organizations or sports they participate in?

Replies

• boys2men2soon
    September 16, 2013 at 7:18 PM

My sons are 4 yrs apart in age, so they never played on the same team or in the same league.     I tried to minimize the competetiveness when they were young.    I intentionally signed my 4 yr old up for soccer because his older brother did not play soccer.       Our issue was that our younger son was big & strong for his age.   He could not only keep up, he could outplay his brother the majority of the time.    It was actually sad.   Our older son's friends often invited both boys to play backyard sports, and my older son resented it.    He was torn between protecting his lil bro from the 'big boys', and resenting the fact that lil bro was competition.

• Jessiejack
    September 16, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Mine are 10 years apart so no.

• my2kidsmom9498
    September 16, 2013 at 11:24 PM

When they were younger we all took tae kwon do together and would have to spar each other at times.  GREAT family therapy!! 

• bizzeemom2717
    Jen
    September 16, 2013 at 11:52 PM
    No they are a boy and girl, complete opposites in every way and 5 years apart in age
  • Lorelai_Nicole
    September 17, 2013 at 1:07 AM

My oldest two (my 17yo niece and 13yo DD) compete together on their high school varsity cheer squad. My 13yo and 9yo DDs compete together on a youth all-star cheer squad (that I coach) and my 6yo DD competes on the lower level of the same team. So technically with, but not with, her sisters. LOL.

• mumsy2three
    September 17, 2013 at 6:17 AM

No, my dd is 8 and 11 years older than her brothers. My sons are 3 years apart, they both play football but they don't play on the same team or against each other.

• Pnukey
    by Pnukey
    September 17, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

No they are a boy and girl, complete opposites in every way and 5 years apart in age

This, exactly.

• diaperstodating
    September 17, 2013 at 7:31 AM

No. I have four boys, one is a high schooler, one is a middle schooler, one is an elementary schooler and one is a kindergartener. They have never competed against each other in a sport.

• tntmomof2
    September 17, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Both of my kids compete in dance (well dd graduated in June so no longer does) but they are boy and girl and 6 1/2 years apart so they never competed against each other. However, last year they competed in a duo together. It was awesome to see their teamwork. 

• wakymom
    by wakymom
    September 17, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Mine don't play sports, so no competition there.

Once ds2 crosses over from Cub to Boy Scouts, I could possibly see some competition there between him and ds1.

Ds2 and dd are the ones who "compete" the most, and it's for things like my attention, who's pushed the shopping cart the most often, who gets in the door first. . . they are 9 and 7.

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts