Moms with Teens

mo3blondeboys
Need advice. teens and chat sites
July 17, 2013 at 5:42 PM
I'm keeping my brother 11 and sister 14 for the summer. My sister has her own laptop and phone of course but she keeps getting on this chat site and I know she's befriending boys she meets there on Facebook and she's probably giving out her phone number. I asked her if mom knew about this site and she told me she wouldn't care, but I don't think it's safe for her to be chatting with strangers. Am I wrong for being worried? What should I do??

Replies

• Barabell
    July 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Talk to her mom about it. I'd be surprised if she didn't care. 

There is a site that my son was on for awhile when he was 12, and it is completely monitored--even the chat rooms are. Let me see if I can remember the name of it for you.

In addition, you need to have some talks about online safety and how once something is online that it can remain online forever because of screen shots.

• Barabell
    July 17, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Ahhhh, I found it:

http://www.kidzworld.com/

• mo3blondeboys
    July 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM

That's not the one she's using. It's omegle or omeble, probably didn't spell that right!

Quoting Barabell:

Ahhhh, I found it:

• Barabell
    July 17, 2013 at 6:39 PM

No, that's the one my son was using. Everything is monitored on it, even chats.

Quoting mo3blondeboys:

That's not the one she's using. It's omegle or omeble, probably didn't spell that right!

Quoting Barabell:

Ahhhh, I found it:

• GleekingOut
    July 18, 2013 at 3:09 AM
    Nope. No omegle in my house- even for my 21yo. Using omegle is a automatic Internet loss. Omegle is full of Pervy guys showing their penis to the camera and asking for sexy pics/skypes/KIK off girls. I would take the laptop and tell her she can only use it sitting next to you. Your Internet your rules. Or she can choose to have no Internet access. I'd also ring your mom and tell her. Omegle can be a pretty dangerous place.
  • ForeverLawst
    July 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Thanks for info on this site guys. I don't think DD would use it, but I'm having DH block it from our network, just incase. It's almost impossible to keep up with all the "bad" sites that our teens can get into. =/

• pokey-pwa
    July 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Ask mom.  If mom says no, then block it.  Of course, make sure you give mom all the info about the site...

• luckysevenwow
    July 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Never heard of the one site either, will keep it filed away in my brain.

Talk to your mom about it, she get's the finaly decision.

• boys2men2soon
    July 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Never heard of the one site either, will keep it filed away in my brain.

Talk to your mom about it, she get's the finaly decision.

This!    I do think you should talk to her about internet safety and appropriate behavior.  You are her big sister and it may sink in hearing it from you.

• drfink
    by drfink
    July 18, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Quoting GleekingOut:

Nope. No omegle in my house- even for my 21yo. Using omegle is a automatic Internet loss. Omegle is full of Pervy guys showing their penis to the camera and asking for sexy pics/skypes/KIK off girls. I would take the laptop and tell her she can only use it sitting next to you. Your Internet your rules. Or she can choose to have no Internet access. I'd also ring your mom and tell her. Omegle can be a pretty dangerous place.

Agree , we have this rule also at this house.I tried it to see ...every single conversation turned into a explicit sex discussion...some immediately others took a bit longer but every one and I was not leading that way.My 21 y.o. daughter had warned me about it for her brothers and I wanted to see...she was correct.

Moms with Teens