Moms with Teens

CelticRose12345
Hearing Loss From Earbuds
July 17, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I took my 16 year old to the doctors yesterday to find she is going deaf from using her earbuds at a high volume level. The doctor says if she does not  stop using them all together(preferrably) or at least cut the volume level WAY down she will need hearing aides in both her ears by years end.

Doc says she is seeing this come up alot in her practice with teens. Right now my daughters condition is reversable, but only if she makes the lifestyle changes of turning it down. I told my girl really only she has control over her possible hearing loss. I can police her when she is in my presence, but I know she sleeps at night with those darn things in her ears and when she rides the bus to school. It's such a horrible habit!

I wish there was something more I can do as her mom to help her make the changes she needs to make. Her speech has been affected already as she can't hear herself speak and I worry about the upcoming school year and her ability to make the grade when she won't be able to hear the teacher properly.

I've come up with only one idea so far for nighttime music listening- instead of earbuds- listen from the speakers on her phone or get her an IPOD with a port to put by her bed. Some may say "well, don't buy her those earbuds anymore". Yes that is a given, but those of us who know how teenagers work also know how easy it is for them to get a pair from a friend if mom and dad won't comply with their wants (Ive seen this alot with clothes in the past).

Does anyone have any alternative ideas  that will encourage her to stop using them? 

Replies

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    July 17, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    This generation is all gonna be deaf by 40. Told my dd that. They don't listen. They can pay for their actions later. We can only guide them and let them decide. If you get them to stop at 18 they are gonna do it anyway.
  • mumsy2three
    July 17, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Does she have a speaker for her pod to use when she is at home?  I tell my kids all the time to turn down the volume when using earbuds/head phones or they are going to go deaf.

• Barabell
    July 17, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Did the doctor recommend a different kind of headphone?

I hate to say it, but ultimately your daughter needs to take some responsibility for her behavior and want to change it herself. She needs to learn to turn the volume down to an acceptable level.

• 02nana07
    Ida
    July 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I would just ask her how she will feel wearing hearing aids and let her know how serious it is. 

I had a neighbor who ignored the dr to the point she could only hear people when they yelled at her and by the time she took it serious it was to late and now she is deaf and even hearing aids don't help. 

If she enjoys her music she needs to consider what it would be like to never hear it again. 

• GleekingOut
    July 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    Mine does this all the time. Even already being deaf in one ear. Drives me absolutely insane.
  • boys2men2soon
    July 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Get some ear plugs (not earbuds for music)  and make her wear them along with a pair of head phones  for one day.    Let her experience life without hearing.    

• lakerfan420
    July 18, 2013 at 4:30 AM
    Mine luckily have the benefit of learning from me. I was a product of the 90's and listened to my walkman 24/7. I'm 33 now and while I don't need hearing aids at this time, I know I will sooner than I should. My kids constantly need to repeat stuff to me and sometimes yell at me to get my attention, and I'm not shy in admitting to them why I didn't hear them at first. They do listen to them on the bus, but all have stuff in their rooms to listen off of so they don't use them in the house. All I can do is trust that they listen, or the consequences are on them just like they were me when I ignored my parents telling me to turn down the volume.
  • CelticRose12345
    July 19, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Thanks for all your input here. I wish it wasn't really all up to her, but I'm afraid ultimately it really is. I wish I had some control on this issue because of the serious nature of it, but like alot of thing with teenagers this is just one more thing that you talk to them about and pray they have listened and taken you seriously enough to make a good decision on.

I see I'm far from alone on this problem as her doctor had said she's seen this alot in her practice with teens. So sad to think we will have a generation of half-deaf adults one day.

@ Barabell - the doctor recommends NO headphones/earbuds/earplugs to be used at all, but if she must use any of them the volume should be turned down to the point that when she has them in her ears that everyone else should not be able to hear the music.

• bizzeemom2717
    July 20, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    Scary but not surprised. :(
  • GleekingOut
    July 21, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Quoting CelticRose12345:

Thanks for all your input here. I wish it wasn't really all up to her, but I'm afraid ultimately it really is. I wish I had some control on this issue because of the serious nature of it, but like alot of thing with teenagers this is just one more thing that you talk to them about and pray they have listened and taken you seriously enough to make a good decision on.

I see I'm far from alone on this problem as her doctor had said she's seen this alot in her practice with teens. So sad to think we will have a generation of half-deaf adults one day.

@ Barabell - the doctor recommends NO headphones/earbuds/earplugs to be used at all, but if she must use any of them the volume should be turned down to the point that when she has them in her ears that everyone else should not be able to hear the music.

Unfortunetely it's not something you can really control. Mine is 21 and does this too - if it's not one pair of headphones it's another and obviously I'm not with her 24/7 even though she lives with me so I don't know how loud she has it outside of home.

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN