Moms with Teens

v2011
Does this seem a little strange to you?
by v2011
July 16, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I've been having a heck of a time with my 15 y/o son.  He has been sneaking out, drinking, and smoking pot.  I had to tackle him before he jumped out of a second story window a couple of weeks ago.  Bit by bit I took everything from him.  Cell phone, grounded to his room, no internet, no tv, no radio, it even got to the point where I took all of his cool clothes and replaced them with kakis and dress shirts and one pair of dorky sweats.  I kept all his shoes in the trunk of my car and only gave him one pair when we went somewhere.  

Last week he came back from his dad's and I was expecting more bad behavior.  He is usually much worse when he comes back from there. Heck, I even psyched myself up for it (Telling myself I can handle my son, I will be strong, I will be patient...)

He comes back a little sad, tells me that he isn't going to fight with me anymore because it stresses him and his little brother out.

Uh...Ok...that's awesome, honey.

It is now week two.  And he is perfect.  I asked him to take care of a few things last night and they were immediately done. No argument, no questions.  After being grounded for quite literally half of his summer break, he just did a complete 180.  Now I am really grateful, really...but should I be worried?

Replies

• chattycassie
    July 16, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I would be happy, maybe he sees what the fighting is doing to the family. I would be cautious however given his past behaviour.

• NettePooh
    July 16, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    Did his dad have a talk with him?
  • drfink
    by drfink
    July 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM

WOW ,I am curious what went on at his dads.Maybe he had a serious man to man chat with him.

I think a good phrase is forgive but never forget...as long as he is doing well let that be your guide but keep your ears and eyes always open.

Hope this keeps up!

• v2011
    by v2011
    July 16, 2013 at 2:23 PM

If his father talked to him, it would only be to tell him to make my life hell. Unfortunately.  I've caught his father texting him to act up, mess up the house so I will give up and let the boys live with him.  (I moved the boys to another city 30 miles away because their father would not leave me alone.  The downside is that the boys miss their friends)

Quoting NettePooh:

Did his dad have a talk with him?

• v2011
    by v2011
    July 16, 2013 at 2:26 PM

No, his dad likes that he acts up.  He makes that clear everytime I ask him to help disipline my son.  I'm starting to think it was his little brother, believe it or not.  Hope it lasts. 

Quoting drfink:

WOW ,I am curious what went on at his dads.Maybe he had a serious man to man chat with him.

I think a good phrase is forgive but never forget...as long as he is doing well let that be your guide but keep your ears and eyes always open.

Hope this keeps up!

• boys2men2soon
    July 16, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I don't know about worried..... have you asked him what happened to give him a change of heart?

• drfink
    by drfink
    July 16, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Then do you think his dad just finally was such a complete and total jerk that your son recognized true parental love...you.

Quoting v2011:

No, his dad likes that he acts up.  He makes that clear everytime I ask him to help disipline my son.  I'm starting to think it was his little brother, believe it or not.  Hope it lasts. 

Quoting drfink:

Hope this keeps up!

• wearymoon
    July 16, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I agree and would ask him. Maybe he had an epiphany.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

I don't know about worried..... have you asked him what happened to give him a change of heart?

• boys2men2soon
    July 16, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Quoting wearymoon:

I agree and would ask him. Maybe he had an epiphany.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Or he found out something regarding his Dad?   He came home sad...

• v2011
    by v2011
    July 16, 2013 at 3:30 PM

When I talked to him, he said it was too hard on his little brother and it stressed him out too when he acted like that.   I know his brother was mad at him for getting the both of them in trouble. Maybe it was that.  Either way, I'll take it.  It was just a very sudden turn around.  And he will not tell me what he was sad about, nor would he tell the counselor.  

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts