Moms with Teens

SKenzie
Would you want your sister or son to tell you if your daughter was a lesbian..
by SKenzie
June 23, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I was in my sister's kitchen last night, she was on the phone in another room upstairs, and my nephew(23) was in the living room watching TV. My niece(16) came down stairs and went into the living room. She asked her brother "Can I tell you something?" he said "Yeah, sure" then she told him that she was a lesbian, and has had a girlfriend for over a year, how she started getting confused at 11, then realized at 14. His reaction was giving her a hug, and saying how it doesn't matter, she's still his sister, and he loves her, and also, "That's cool you have a girlfriend, but be careful..if you know what I mean." My mouth was on the floor, they're not that close, I don't understand how he could just be so calm. I feel like I should tell my sister, I added son in the title, even though by the sounds of it, he'd never tell. Do you think I should tell her mother?

I also posted a similar post in another group to get some other advice. Some are saying he was so calm, because he might have already known. How are you going to know when she's a super girly-girl, and 7 years younger than you? o_O

Replies

• bizzeemom2717
    Jen
    June 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM
    Umm hell no don't tell? Why would you betray your nieces confidence like that? First off, SHE will tell her mom when SHE is ready, not your place. Secondly maybe she already has? In any case NO
  • fammatthews4
    June 23, 2013 at 4:51 PM
    Not your place. It's your neices place to tell her mother when she sees fit. Also she could have told her mother first before she told her brother.
  • Adexecmom
    June 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I would stay out of it.  Let her tell her mother when she's ready.

• jojo_star
    June 23, 2013 at 5:14 PM
    Stay out of it, it is NOT your business, it has nothing to do with you. She will tell her mother when she is ready.
  • Mommy980106
    June 23, 2013 at 5:16 PM
    She didn't tell you. She didn't ask for your help in telling her mom. It's her business to tell when she is ready. Just love and support her when she does share the news with everyone.
  • atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    June 23, 2013 at 5:55 PM
    Don't say anything.
  • mumsy2three
    June 23, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I wouldn't say anything.

• GleekingOut
    June 23, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    Don't tell her. Not your business. I wouldn't want anyone to tell me. It's nobody's business but my kid. Even while they live under my roof.
  • Barabell
    June 23, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I wouldn't say anything. It's up to your niece to talk to her parents about that when she's comfortable.

Are you sure she hasn't already said something to her parents? Just because they haven't said anything to you, it doesn't mean that they aren't aware of it already.

• luckysevenwow
    June 23, 2013 at 8:03 PM

It's not your story to tell, it's the DD's. She went to her brother in confidence, if you or him break that it will do more harm then good. She will go to her parents when she is ready.

As for how calm he was...maybe he really didn't see it as a big deal. Maybe he has had suspicions, or maybe he just loves his sister and wants her to be happy.

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts