Moms with Teens

moobahlalala
birth control?!
June 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM
My niece asked me about birth control today. She said she's not sexually active at the moment, but she wants to be on it just in case. She started telling me that she wants Implanon, and I told her absolutely not she cannot use bc that involves implanting a foreign object into her arm. I've seen so many girls where there's have broken off and some who couldn't get the whole thing removed. She really doesn't want to take another pill, and went on to ask about the shot. I'm just... This is a lot to take on so fast. Am I even allowed to get her bc?!

Replies

• luckysevenwow
    June 22, 2013 at 11:49 PM
    She can go to planned parenthood and get b herself on birth control. That would be best and then they could walk her through her best options.
  • Shellness
    June 22, 2013 at 11:52 PM

She is allowed to get herself on bc if she is 14 or over. The law emancipates them for this one issue and they don't need an adult parental consent.

Its a very personal issue and for me and my girls, I did not want them to have any chemicals like the ones in BC in their precious bodies. I informed them of other options and its worked so far. They are 22 and 17 and I'm not a grandmother yet.

• moobahlalala
    June 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
    Oh really? That's good to know. I guess I'd better get her an appointment then... Oh boy. Lol this is all just happening so fast!

Quoting Shellness:

She is allowed to get herself on bc if she is 14 or over. The law emancipates them for this one issue and they don't need an adult parental consent.

Its a very personal issue and for me and my girls, I did not want them to have any chemicals like the ones in BC in their precious bodies. I informed them of other options and its worked so far. They are 22 and 17 and I'm not a grandmother yet.

• moobahlalala
    June 23, 2013 at 12:02 AM
    So I guess my comment about the implanon was probably out of line. It really should be her choice, it was just unexpected and I was caught off guard.
  • boys2men2soon
    June 23, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Quoting moobahlalala:

So I guess my comment about the implanon was probably out of line. It really should be her choice, it was just unexpected and I was caught off guard.

You are allowed to have an opinion and voice your concerns, lol.    I agree that taking her to Planned parenthood is best.   She may want you to hear the options and information with her, so you can weigh in on the right choice for her.   If she wants to go it alone, suggest some questions for her to ask.

• moobahlalala
    June 23, 2013 at 1:11 AM
    Thanks. I'm a little out of my element today. It's really making me wish my babies would just stay babies forever.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Quoting moobahlalala:

You are allowed to have an opinion and voice your concerns, lol.    I agree that taking her to Planned parenthood is best.   She may want you to hear the options and information with her, so you can weigh in on the right choice for her.   If she wants to go it alone, suggest some questions for her to ask.

• bizzeemom2717
    Jen
    June 23, 2013 at 3:55 AM
    Planned Parenthood might be a good option. They will go over all the possibilities with her and she doesn't need anyone's consent.
  • SAMI_JO
    by SAMI_JO
    June 23, 2013 at 6:51 AM
    Yes she can make this choice without you, but since she is so new to your family. Maybe ask her if you can make her an appointment and go with her, to help her decide what is best for her. We all know, teens are not know for making the best decisions on their own.
  • mumsy2three
    June 23, 2013 at 7:11 AM

I'd call for an appointment for planned parenthood. I would stress the use of condoms as well, they are the only thing that can protect against stds, if she chooses to become sexually active.

• suesues
    by suesues
    June 23, 2013 at 8:13 AM

go to gyno together glad she is being safe

Moms with Teens