Moms with Teens

Momofmenagerie
Well, the medical profession is out!
June 20, 2013 at 11:02 PM
I guess it's it's a good thing he is aiming for robotic engineering! Lol
My 14 yr old has always been squeamish... About lost his lunch while being taught to gut a fish at camp.

Today I managed to cut both my thumbs simultaneously on the blades of a food chopper (not an idiot, I didn't realize the blade had come off in my parsley until ... Uh, well, I found it)

Anyhow I start calling for ds as both were bleeding pretty bad and I couldn't put pressure on both at the same time. He comes in the kitchen and asks " What?" His eyes get HUGE as he does a dance similar to my spider dance saying, " Oh! Oh! Oh!"

He gets the first aid kit, and starts chanting " It's okay. It's okay. It's okay" I have a sneaking suspicious this mantra was for him and not me as I had to Bark at him to get me two dishclothes and help me put pressure on ( EMT is out, too, huh?) hah!

When one stopped bleeding, I told him " now antibiotic on a band aid, poor kid's hands were shaking so bad that the antibiotic was written in cursive! He got that one on, finally and my other thumb hadn't stopped bleeding yet. He says "mom, I really gotta pee. Can I go and come right back?" I'm laughing so hard at this point!
" yes, baby, go pee, but be positive you wash your hands before coming back"
" yes, I will! Are you gonna be okay?"
" yes, just GO but wash your hands and come back!"
" okay"
Luckily, the bleeding had slowed enough to dab away and have the cursive antibiotic put on the second band aid and put on the cut.

He asks if I'm okay, I say yeah, apparently a bit better than you! Two minutes later he comes back where I'm sitting and asks " mom? If that thumb doesn't stop bleeding, with you need stitches? Will you be okay? I assured him that if required, a cut like this would only required superglue because although a bit deep and painful, it was a small cut and the superglue we have here would work fine.

So, he will NOT be the doctor in the family! Gotta aim for robotics or mechanical engineering! Hahaha! Just thought I'd share!

Replies

• wakymom
    by wakymom
    June 20, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Lol! Sounds like me : )  I ruled out anything in the medical field when I was 12 and sprained my ankle skiing. I had to hang out in the first aid station, waiting for my family to slowly make their way down the mountain (of course I wiped out near the top @@ Those 1st aid guys/gals ski a lot faster/better than my family and me!), and listening to others as they came in made me all queasy.

• Momofmenagerie
    June 20, 2013 at 11:14 PM
    Lol! Yeah, well teenagers may not be clear on what they WANT to be... But they have absolute clarity about what it ISN'T going to be, pretty early on!

Quoting wakymom:

Lol! Sounds like me : )  I ruled out anything in the medical field when I was 12 and sprained my ankle skiing. I had to hang out in the first aid station, waiting for my family to slowly make their way down the mountain (of course I wiped out near the top @@ Those 1st aid guys/gals ski a lot faster/better than my family and me!), and listening to others as they came in made me all queasy.

• luckysevenwow
    June 21, 2013 at 12:22 AM

My MIL is a nurse, and falls apart when any of the kids get hurt. It funnier the heck. I am calm as a cucumber doing whatever needs to be done and she runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    June 21, 2013 at 12:34 AM
    I was an EMT and loved it. Definitely not something for anyone.

Hope your cuts heal quickly.
  • boys2men2soon
    June 21, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Lol....  funny!     My oldest son can't stomach the sight of blood, either.    I actually can.......  yet I can not handle blood coming from my own child!     My son once had a puncture wound on his head...blood was pouring out and I could not find the wound.   I yelled for my older son to run and get our neighbor (my best friend).   She walked in thinking I needed her to kill a spider and gasped when she saw my 4 yr old calmly sitting on the counter with blood pouring all over and me attempting not to hyperventilate!

• exhaustedmother
    June 21, 2013 at 12:40 AM

LOL- that was funny. I would never be able to work in the medical profession either- I am very squeamish when it comes to blood and other bodily fluids.

• Momofmenagerie
    June 21, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    Thanks, yes it takes a special person to be an EMT!
    My cuts will heal, won't be quickly though. My DNA is not " coded" as " omg! We need to fix those ASAP! Immune system is pretty lazy. Hah!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I was an EMT and loved it. Definitely not something for anyone.

Hope your cuts heal quickly.

• Momofmenagerie
    June 21, 2013 at 9:00 AM
    Oddly enough , the only blood coming from my children that I flip out over is nosebleeds. I can't wrap my head around the fact that that much blood coming from someone's FACE is totally okay! Hahaha!

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Lol....  funny!     My oldest son can't stomach the sight of blood, either.    I actually can.......  yet I can not handle blood coming from my own child!     My son once had a puncture wound on his head...blood was pouring out and I could not find the wound.   I yelled for my older son to run and get our neighbor (my best friend).   She walked in thinking I needed her to kill a spider and gasped when she saw my 4 yr old calmly sitting on the counter with blood pouring all over and me attempting not to hyperventilate!

• PurpleHazey
    June 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I don't do well with blood but I do very well with being sick.

• luckysevenwow
    June 21, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Thats funny. A few of my kids are prone to them, I was too as a child, but one time with my DD will never forget me.

My littlest (3) kept trying to get me to go into the bathroom. She would do that all of the time and it was usually nothing, so I ignored her. Then my 11 year old comes out and says "Mom Vanna's (she was 8) nose is bleeding". Um okay, had her the tissue? It's not like they have never had them. Finally he is persistant that I need to go into the bathroom.

What I walked into was straight out of a horror film. The amount of blood all over the bathroom, dripping down her and all over the floor could only be described as massive. She was sitting on the toiled cause she had been using it and couldn't get up cause she needed both hands on her nose. One to hold the tissue and one to catch what the tissue wasn't catching. It took a good 30 minutes to stop it, we were seconds away from the ER. I swear she lost half her blood (probably not, but it looked that way).  

That was the one and only time, that blood has gotten to me.

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

Oddly enough , the only blood coming from my children that I flip out over is nosebleeds. I can't wrap my head around the fact that that much blood coming from someone's FACE is totally okay! Hahaha!

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Moms with Teens