Moms with Teens

Barabell
15 Over-the-Top Rules for Kids From the 'Strictest Parents Ever'
June 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM

15 Over-the-Top Rules for Kids From the 'Strictest Parents Ever'

by Jeanne Sager

I have a confession to make: sometimes my daughter tells me that I'm the strictest parent EVER, and I laugh. Not in her face, but later, along with my husband who shakes his head and usually makes some comment about how lucky she really is.

I am not the most strict parent out there. But there's no use telling my kid that. There's really no use telling ANY kid that their parents are not the big meanies they think they are.

But as my kid gets older, I'm more than happy to collect proof that it could be a heckuva lot worse out there for her. Take the recent list of "rules" teenagers on Reddit say are enforced in their homes. They go from the normal to the absolutely absurd ... and beyond!

If you ever want to prove to your kids that they really have it pretty good, just dare them to compare themselves to the kids claiming they have the strictest parents ever ... who have the list of oppressive rules to back them up (that is, unless these are rules for your teenagers too?):

1. No watching TV alone.

2. [I am] forced to wear dresses.

3. No eating meat.

4. No watching cable television.

5. No watching any movie over a PG rating.

6. No having friends over.

7. If I leave the house, I have to send a text to my mom every hour to update her.

8. I'm not allowed to spend any of my own money.

9. Not allowed to stay up past 10:30, even though it's summer vacation.

10. No sitting with my door closed.

11. Not allowed to read Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket.

12. I'm not allowed to listen to much of the mainstream music out there.

13. Now I'm taking tutoring lessons over the summer for all subjects I didn't get an A in ... because I got a B.

14. My mom assigned her own summer homework.

15. No going anywhere without a parent present.

What do you think? Are these rules over-the-top or do you have them beat?

Replies

• Jinx-Troublex3
    June 20, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    Hmmm..well we homeschool and they do school year round but we do take a few week long breaks.

Yes, I require texting if they are not with an adult. If he stays overnight with a friend, he doesn't have to check in hourly unless they leave the house. Same as if I drop them at the mall or at amusement parks but those two places I must physically meet them each hour.

No cable/no video games until chores and school work are done. This means nights they have sports or scouts, the TV may not even come on for days at a time.
  • Jinx-Troublex3
    June 20, 2013 at 8:25 PM
    I took them to an anime convention on Vegas. We basically checked in every 2-3 hours. It was a hotel way off of the strip and nowhere to go if they left the building so it wasn't a big issue.
  • boys2men2soon
    June 20, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I'm still laughing at #10.   I wonder if he/she is allowed to stand with the door closed?

My kids have it pretty dang good!  

• bizzeemom2717
    Jen
    June 20, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Wow, most honestly yep wayyyy over the top!

• craftyzenmom
    June 20, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I always giggle when I read about parents restricting kids reading choices.... I'm pretty lax in that department (except for things like adult James Patterson etc..., my boys are 13) When I was 12 I wanted to read "Fear of Flying" by Erica Jong and it was the first time my mom told me I couldn't read something. I was fascinated. 

We homeschool too and I also have to restrict tv and computer or else my boys would overload. I use the parental control timer to clock them out. On the other hand they are doing stuff like programming so it's not just World of Warcraft all the time. That is another thing I am sort strict about.... I've never let them play Halo and the really graphic video games. I draw the line at fantasy stuff, and keep a tight reign on how much time they spend on WOW. I won't  let them pay for monthly membership so it limits their abilities to some extent. It still is a constant time suck.

• Barabell
    June 20, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I found #10 and #11 to be the funniest! I'm assuming they mean for changing clothes. I wonder if he/she has to sleep with the door open too?

My son definitely has it pretty dang good too!!

Quoting boys2men2soon:

I'm still laughing at #10.   I wonder if he/she is allowed to stand with the door closed?

• Barabell
    June 20, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Quoting craftyzenmom:

I always giggle when I read about parents restricting kids reading choices.... I'm pretty lax in that department (except for things like adult James Patterson etc..., my boys are 13) When I was 12 I wanted to read "Fear of Flying" by Erica Jong and it was the first time my mom told me I couldn't read something. I was fascinated. 

We homeschool too and I also have to restrict tv and computer or else my boys would overload. I use the parental control timer to clock them out. On the other hand they are doing stuff like programming so it's not just World of Warcraft all the time. That is another thing I am sort strict about.... I've never let them play Halo and the really graphic video games. I draw the line at fantasy stuff, and keep a tight reign on how much time they spend on WOW. I won't  let them pay for monthly membership so it limits their abilities to some extent. It still is a constant time suck.

I can really understand why you limit screen time. During the school year, we do limit on school nights because otherwise it just gets to be too much of a time drain.

• boys2men2soon
    June 20, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Quoting Barabell:

I found #10 and #11 to be the funniest! I'm assuming they mean for changing clothes. I wonder if he/she has to sleep with the door open too?

My son definitely has it pretty dang good too!!

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Changing clothes???  I have to sit to put my socks on!  I am not coordinated enough to stand on one foot.  If I were pulling on tights or nylons.....  I would be on the floor!!!

• my2kidsmom9498
    June 20, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Have fun with those!  I don't see the point of a lot of these, but if it works for your house, so be it.  What is the purpose of these?  Other than showing you are in charge and have the ability to control every micro cosom of their lives?  What do you think will happen when they head off to college?  I understand that teens need their privacy, and a closed door is to be respected, unless they have ALREADY done something to break that trust.  9 am is the time to be up in the morning, I could not care less what time they went to bed, they can live with the consequences.  Dh and I feel our purpose as parents is to teach our kids how to make wise choises and be ready for adulthood.  If I make all their choices for them, how will they learn?

• GleekingOut
    June 21, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Oh noes. Mines doing that right now! She could be getting kidnapped! or Pregnant! even though there's no way into her room at all without me knowing >.> She's been allowed to shut her door for as long as I can remember.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Moms with Teens