Moms with Teens

FarmersWife83
The talk...
June 18, 2013 at 1:31 AM
So I have finely let my sixteen year old daughter start dating. She knows how babies are made and all that stuff. I have not however talked to her a whole lot about sex. How can I talk to her without it being awkward for the both of us. I remember when my mom talked to me about it my face got all red and I got up and walked out of the room. Any advise?? I also want to tell her that if she does decide to have sex come to me before hand so we can talk. Good idea or bad??

Replies

• Retrokitty
    June 18, 2013 at 1:33 AM
    There are good books made for teens about it. Give it to her and write a letter telling her to go to you if she decides to have it. If you feel awkward letters can be a good alternitive.
  • bizzeemom2717
    June 18, 2013 at 2:07 AM
    Wow 16, well I started this discussion much younger with my dd, like years younger so by now at 15 she and I have a very open and comfortable dialouge regarding sex. Hmm, I guess I would just try to keep it casual and natural. No doubt by this age she has heard plenty from peers, my biggest concern would be that she had accurate information...esp regarding STIs and birth control. Good luck!
  • atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    June 18, 2013 at 7:44 AM
    You are wayyyy too late. Should have talked about it often before now about sex and your morals and values. It is awkward but you should talk and often. This is not a one time talk. Waiting is asking for trouble.
  • 02nana07
    Ida
    June 18, 2013 at 8:29 AM

good luck I hope the talk goes well

• Barabell
    June 18, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Wow 16, well I started this discussion much younger with my dd, like years younger so by now at 15 she and I have a very open and comfortable dialouge regarding sex. Hmm, I guess I would just try to keep it casual and natural. No doubt by this age she has heard plenty from peers, my biggest concern would be that she had accurate information...esp regarding STIs and birth control. Good luck!

I agree! Definitely start talking about it now. I like the suggestion of getting a book too. You need to have open talks about this, even if it's awkward.

• Stelley
    by Stelley
    June 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I suggest the book A Chicken's Guide to Talking Turkey with Your Kids About Sex by Kevin Leman.  I started talking about it when my kids were much younger (they're now 11, 12, and 14) and we have open discussions about sex, dating, drugs, alcohol, and all that fun stuff kids are bombarded with.  

http://www.amazon.com/Chickens-Guide-Talking-Turkey-About/dp/0310283507/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371611451&sr=8-1&keywords=the+chicken%27s+guide+to+talking+turkey

• Linus77
    by Linus77
    June 19, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Keep it factual.  Make it useful information.  Don't let her get embarrassed or cause you to get embarrassed.  Be honest and to the point.  She probably knows more than you realize, so be sure to clear up any misinformation she may have gotten from other people.

IMO, you need to show her that she can come to you and talk about anything, which means you need to dump awkward and be free with what you need to say.  She's your baby.  You used to wipe her butt and clean her nose.  You love each other, so have at it.

• HilbillyMamaof3
    June 19, 2013 at 3:09 AM
    Good luck! Sex talk in our house is table talk. I know my approach isn't for everyone though. Be accurate and let her know what you expect. I'm sure she all ready knows plenty by now. But the one thing I stress is once you start talking don't stop! Let her talk and don't flip out if her knowledge/questions shock you.
  • vlynn.iowa
    June 19, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Talk to her in the car.

• WandaSue
    June 19, 2013 at 8:26 AM

our house too!

Quoting HilbillyMamaof3:

Good luck! Sex talk in our house is table talk. I know my approach isn't for everyone though. Be accurate and let her know what you expect. I'm sure she all ready knows plenty by now. But the one thing I stress is once you start talking don't stop! Let her talk and don't flip out if her knowledge/questions shock you.

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN