Moms with Teens

LuzzaK
Teen daughter seems preoccupied all the time and wont say why.
by LuzzaK
June 17, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Our family is big on doing things together but recently my 17 year old daughter seems like she's always got her mind on something else. I have no idea what, she says its nothing but recntly instead of engaing with us she'll always be zoned out. Like at a barbecue with some extended family we were all talking about our summer plans and when my sister asked her about hers it was so obvious she had no idea what she was asking or what the conversation was about at all. It's not like she was on her phone or anything, she just wasn't listening. And recently she's been like that all the time around family. I don't know how she is around her friends but I bet shes a lot more open and engaged. How should I approach this?

Replies

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    June 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM
    Teens are this way. They are starting to break away and spread their wings.
  • Txlisa7969
    June 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM

This. 

Quoting atlmom2:

Teens are this way. They are starting to break away and spread their wings.

• paganmommy4
    June 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM

maybe she's pregnant. 

• GleekingOut
    June 18, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Maybe she's crushing on someone and they're in her thoughts?

• GleekingOut
    June 18, 2013 at 2:05 AM
    Quoting paganmommy4:

maybe she's pregnant. 

Where's that gif? the "That escalated quickly" gif :P

• bizzeemom2717
    June 18, 2013 at 3:15 AM
    Talk to her, explain your concerns and ask her if their is something bothering her or on her mind
  • suesues
    by suesues
    June 18, 2013 at 7:48 AM

boys?

• fantasticfour
    June 18, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    I would say this is normal.
  • mom2the.rescue
    June 18, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Sounds normal to me.  

• lancet98
    June 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM

It could be normal, it could be mental illness, it could be substance abuse.   No way to tell without looking at a lot of other information.   

When we were teens we constantly feigned indifference and inattention at family gatherings.   We were thoroughly irritated that we had to sacrifice even a second of the time we wanted to spend with our friends(which was, basically, all our time), who we thought were far more important and far more exciting.

Our parents actually took us on an incredible trip through about eight countries, and we acted bored, whiney and disinterested the entire time.   We tried to walk behind them, convinced that if we did so, no one would realize that we were with our parents.

LOL.

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts