Moms with Teens

rainbowmaker
need ideas on activities to do together with my teens
June 17, 2013 at 2:26 AM

I have 2 teens... a son, 15 years old, and a daughter, 16 years old. 

They both have their friends that they do stuff with, as I have my own friends as well.

However, whenever I suggest things to do with my kids, my son usually will want to do stuff with me, and also with my hubby (their dad)  on weekends (he works fulltime, I am a sub teacher and off for the summer).

My daughter never seems to want to do anything with us...she'd rather text her friends and sit in her room, or go out with her friends.   She usually stays home and likes to veg out, watch tv, text her friends, get on her computer, and basically be in her room.

I miss doing things with my daughter and my son together, the 3 of us, as a group, and with their dad, and me, as a foursome.  How do I find activities to interest my daughter?

I suggest activities, and she says they are boring ideas..if I ask her what she would like to do...she says she doesnt' know.....any ideas, anyone?

Replies

• ForeverLawst
    June 17, 2013 at 8:25 AM

My DD is the same way. She's 14 and an only child. I usually take one or two of her friends with us to the park or bowling etc. It's easier to keep her interacting if she's got a friend with her. =)

• lakerfan420
    June 17, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    My older kids are 15 and 13 year old girls, and an 11 year old son. They all love having their own social lives, but family time is a must as well. We all love amusement parks so we visit them frequently in the summer. There are many trails and lakes around here so we go biking probably once a month or so, and boating/tubing almost every week in the summer as well. Sometimes it's just family (athough cousins alone usually doubles the kid count), and sometimes they're allowed to bring a friend or two. Same with movies or going out to eat. We also have a 3 year old so we still do simple things like going to the zoo or having a picnic at the park. Beyond that, it's whatever each kid wants to do. My girls love to shop of course, and my son likes to play me one on one in basketball. And one thing I've done for years is only taking one kid with me when I go grocery shopping. With 3 so close in age, that was an easy way to sneak in a little one on one time on a regular basis and just chat.
  • MrsBLB
    by MrsBLB
    June 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM

It's harder as they start growing up...  What about bowling?

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    June 17, 2013 at 10:04 AM
    That is the norm. I didn't want to either when I was a teen. I say go out to eat. Mine never turned down food, lol.
  • nuts4scouts
    June 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM

If it is a family outing then no one gets to stay home alone. Period. Like it or not.

Life is hard, and the kids would simply have to grit their teeth and make the best of having fun with the family.

Some things we did together - hiked, camped, mini-golf, bowling, zoo, museums, go-carts, amusement parks, and lots more.

Sniff, poor abused them!

• Barabell
    June 17, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Quoting atlmom2:

That is the norm. I didn't want to either when I was a teen. I say go out to eat. Mine never turned down food, lol.

My son never turns down food either. It can be as simple as going to Starbucks for an hour in the afternoon for a coffee and a treat.

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    June 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    We have girls. Mine never turned down shopping either, lol.
  • luckysevenwow
    June 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM

This was me, family activities weren't up for discussion. I tried to make sure that all of the, were happy but settled for most of them, and tried to make sure that each outing was geared to at least one or two of them

Quoting nuts4scouts:

If it is a family outing then no one gets to stay home alone. Period. Like it or not.

Life is hard, and the kids would simply have to grit their teeth and make the best of having fun with the family.

Some things we did together - hiked, camped, mini-golf, bowling, zoo, museums, go-carts, amusement parks, and lots more.

Sniff, poor abused them!

• Txlisa7969
    June 17, 2013 at 12:34 PM

For my teen girls it's a chance to go to the coffee shop and the book store.  It's one of the few things both girls enjoy that we can all do together.  Granted I have to watch myself or I will spend a bundle since I have a hard time saying no to books.

• boys2men2soon
    June 17, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Amusement parks?  Fairs?  The beach?   Concerts?     My sons loved to stay in Hotels from the time they were little, they would go anywhere if we were staying overnight, lol.

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN