Moms with Teens

Babygi
I can't believe this is legal!!
by Babygi
May 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM
I got a call from my son school today at 11am. I was told my son was being RPCed for drugs. I totally flipped out and went to the school to see what was going on. Come to find out my sons friend is the one who said he had drugs to sell "it turned out to be sugar" and since my some knew he had it my son was now in trouble for not saying anything. I have always raised my kids not to snitch as we learned young that snitches end up in ditches...I have also raised my kids the same way. So to snitch on something that wasn't life threating was not an option in his mind. Then I find out that the police where called and interigated my son without my consent or any other adult present. When I asked why I wasn't notified I was told I didn't have to be notified cause he was over the age of 8!! I can not believe this...adults have the right to an attorney when being questioned but not a child!! I am Not saying that whatever part my son played in this is right...cause I am the first to say what did my son do now. But at the same time I believe my son should have had a parent present. I am beyond mad at the school and police for this. Needless to say we are now talking about homeschooling all our kids since I now know my kids are not safe at school.

What do you think?? Am I over reacting??

Replies

• 21lisa72
    May 22, 2013 at 7:48 PM

no thats crazy over the age of 8?????

• luckysevenwow
    May 22, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I wouldn't be happy with my child being questioned without me present, but I have heard of that.

I also get not to raise a child to tell unless life or limb is in danger, but I do see the schools side of it.

• boys2men2soon
    May 22, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I would be angry, too.   My son was involved in an incident when he was in High School where the police were present.   He was off campus, school was out for the day, but the school officials called me to come to the scene immediately.   I arrived to find two police officers, the school Dean and the vice principal all there.   The school officials were fantastic!   The police officer in charge was being a jerk.  He was looking to pin something on my son..... he let all the other kids leave and was going through my sons suv just throwing things, being very rough.   When I walked towards my son, the officer actually put his hand on his gun and yelled at me to step away!   The School Dean immediately intervened on my behalf.     Anyway, my point is that I was very happy the school staff was there.... and called me.   They refused to leave my son...and stayed even after I arrived.   My son was 18, too.

• wodntulk2kno1
    May 22, 2013 at 8:14 PM
    I thought an adult had to be present when questioned by the police unless it is abuse or of that nature.
  • Barabell
    May 22, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I would look into the laws for your area to see if they violated any of them.

• Babygi
    by Babygi
    May 22, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    That's what I said....but I called the police department to file a complaint and found out that it is not only legal for then to interigate my child without my knowing it but if you have a handicapped child...as long as they are mentally 8 years old the same is done to them.

Quoting 21lisa72:

no thats crazy over the age of 8?????

• Babygi
    by Babygi
    May 22, 2013 at 8:35 PM
    The police department is the one who said everything they did was legal as long as our child was over the age of 8. I just don't get how it could be legal to question a child without a parent present.

Quoting Barabell:

• Babygi
    by Babygi
    May 22, 2013 at 8:39 PM
    I am glad your sons school was so great about it. I wish my sons was...he is only in 8th grade and boy are we glad he is not going there next year. We have had problems with this school since 6th grade. I just never expected this.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

I would be angry, too.   My son was involved in an incident when he was in High School where the police were present.   He was off campus, school was out for the day, but the school officials called me to come to the scene immediately.   I arrived to find two police officers, the school Dean and the vice principal all there.   The school officials were fantastic!   The police officer in charge was being a jerk.  He was looking to pin something on my son..... he let all the other kids leave and was going through my sons suv just throwing things, being very rough.   When I walked towards my son, the officer actually put his hand on his gun and yelled at me to step away!   The School Dean immediately intervened on my behalf.     Anyway, my point is that I was very happy the school staff was there.... and called me.   They refused to leave my son...and stayed even after I arrived.   My son was 18, too.

• Luv.My.Kidz
    May 22, 2013 at 8:43 PM

The police can and will question your child when he's over a certain age. A couple kids said that my son had a gun in his bookbag. The school called me, I went down there and the officer had to question my son in front of me because he was 7yrs old. 

I think using the word interogated is over exagerating because they won't "interogate" a child. 

And I blame you for teaching your children a stupid anology. "Snitches end up in ditches" gives kids the wrong idea and the reason why so many people get raped, kidnapped, etc. Because of parents like you that tell your kids to basically turn a blind eye. 

• Barabell
    May 22, 2013 at 8:45 PM

You can see if that's the truth by looking up the laws or talking to a lawyer. Just because they told you that was the law, it doesn't mean it's true. It's not against the law for cops to lie.

Quoting Babygi:

The police department is the one who said everything they did was legal as long as our child was over the age of 8. I just don't get how it could be legal to question a child without a parent present.

Quoting Barabell:

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN