Moms with Teens

Advice Needed: Should mixed gender swim classes be allowed in school
by 1924
May 5, 2013 at 12:59 AM

at my daughters schools from 6th -10th grade, in PE she attends the swim unit and boys and girls have
it together? Why is this allowed? Wouldn't this make girls feel uncomfortable
and give boys an opportunity to harass and humiliate girls? And cause
distractions and goofing off among everybdy? Not to mention young boys will be around with no shirt on which I think is inappropriate for young girls to be around of.

My daughter keeps saying she does not care but she is young and may not understand how wrong this is
this just seems wrong especially at school.You are at school to LEARN. Not to
goof off. Like it or not swimming is a class to workout and learn. Can't really
do that well with young boys and girls together. How can schools be so clueless?

can people really say honestly that young boys and girls will concentrate on swimming while they are around each other in bathing suits and not goof off? That boys (who arent known for sensitivity) won't use this opportunity to harass or tease girls? Seems kind of like a naive way of thinking to me, and almost a form of abuse

I cannot think of any reason they would have to have the classes together? What are the advantages to this? I see none

Replies

• mommyofmonkey16
    May 5, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Wow. Sorry, but I think it is perfectly fine of what the school is doing. 

• gdiamante
    May 5, 2013 at 1:25 AM

We had co-ed swim classes when I was in junior high school. And that was back in 1976. And everyone DID learn, because you had to pass a swimming test as a graduation requirement. 

We had uniform swimsuits, one piece.

Your daughter has doubtless seen shirtless males before. And will again. 

Sorry, I don't see a problem here.

• bizzeemom2717
    Jen
    May 5, 2013 at 1:30 AM
    We had co Ed PE in HS I graduated in 1990. I also grew up in SoCal and on the beach so lol, boys without tops on? Not overly stimulating in my book. Kids should be able to handle seeing each other in bathing suits and I'm sure the gym teachers keep it under control.
  • GleekingOut
    May 5, 2013 at 6:43 AM

My DD's school did this and if anyone should be offended it's a mom of a niave, gullible, special needs child. Her school had rules; boys had to wear board shorts not speedos; girls had to wear at least tankini's and if there was too much chest exposure they had to wear a shirt over the top. For camps girls had to wear one peices or wear a shirt over the top and boys had to wear a shirt and board shorts.

Edited to add: if there are rules; boundaries and adequate supervision/control over the students - it's fine. If it were for instance my DD's grade 12 hospitality class that had no contorl, no rules nothing, I would have made DD sit out.

• Crafty8852
    May 5, 2013 at 6:51 AM
    I had coed swimming in elementary and they have it in my ds's middle school as well. The girls have to wear 1pc suits fully intact, no belly or side gaps or low cut backs. If your kids spend anytime at all at a public beach or pool they've seen shirtless boys. I wouldn't worry about it, if your daughter has enough self control she should be able to learn and swim without being overly distracted by boys. My swim coach didn't allow horseplay by the pool, that's a big rule to prevent accidents.
  • atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    May 5, 2013 at 7:46 AM
    Ours are coed. No one cares. You are freaking out over nothing. The girls were wear modest bikini's too. Rarely do girls wear a one piece.
    Is you your dd uncomfortable in a bathing suit??? Why is it different than swimming in a pool or a lake in summer??? My girls are not harassed anywhere. Mine have now graduated and took swimming in both gym classes they had in HS.
  • fammatthews4
    May 5, 2013 at 8:05 AM

IMO you are over reacting.  Maybe I feel that way because we have been going to public pools and beaches since the kids were tiny and they have been exposed to people in bathing suits all their life.  If their school had a swim class I would have been totally fine with it being coed.  

• mumsy2three
    May 5, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Considering it's a PE class I would hope it would be well structured and well supervised by the teacher. Most PE classes aren't free for-alls.

As far as boys and girls being together I don't see an issue with it. We don't have swimming as a PE choice in our area but I would think the students would have to wear certain kinds of suits and shorts. Our students have a gym "uniform" for regular PE classes.

• HopesNDreams
    May 5, 2013 at 8:10 AM
    Honestly, the girls make fun of other girls' bodies more that the boys do.

I would WELCOME any opportunity for the schools to actively teach boys that they can be around girls in any state of dress without harassing them. I would welcome those boys being held accountable for sexist or harassing remarks. I think we spend FAR too much time just excusing boys' rude behavior because if how a girl is dressed.
  • luckysevenwow
    May 5, 2013 at 9:11 AM

This would have been my answer word for word, it really wasn't a big deal..

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

We had co Ed PE in HS I graduated in 1990. I also grew up in SoCal and on the beach so lol, boys without tops on? Not overly stimulating in my book. Kids should be able to handle seeing each other in bathing suits and I'm sure the gym teachers keep it under control.

Moms with Teens