Moms with Teens

Reina13
How do you feel about teens and tattoos?
by Reina13
May 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM

My son has an eclectic group of friends all from different social groups but the one thing they all seem to have in common are tattoos. They ALL have at least one.

I have seen kids as young as 16 have them.

Personally I think that is too young to make such an importance decision about something so permanent on their body. If they are going to get them, I think they should at the very least wait until they are 18.

How do you feel about tattoos on teens?

Do your kids have any? What do you think is an appropriate age to get them?

Replies

• lucky2Beeme
    May 3, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I don't like tattoos on anyone. I was brought up that Tats were for sailors.

Both my sons have them. I do not like them at all. I was hurt and angered that they would do it. They didn't get them until ages 18 and 20. My oldest now 26 regrets getting them.

• Crafty8852
    May 3, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    I have tattoos, love them. But I waited until I was 21 to get my 1st one, mainly at the request of my mom :-) I have a friend who let her daughter get piercings very young, and she just got her 1st tattoo and she's only 16 :-( it's a cute rose for her grandma who passed away, but I think she should have waited. Here in NYS it is illegal to tattoo a minor (under 18), and there have been quite a number of arrests lately actually. I would post links, but I'm on my tablet and it won't work :-P I don't see any hurry in getting ink. Kids should have to wait until they are legal adults, I consider it an adult decision.
  • luckysevenwow
    May 3, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Next to dating, tattoo's were the one of the only other things that I had a hard rule of 18 on. Piercings started at 12/13, but can be removed, tattoo's can't. 

My 20 year old DD has a ton of them now, my son just got his first. Not sure if the other kids will get any, but I'm okay with them...as long as they are over 18.

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    May 3, 2013 at 9:39 AM
    Hate tattoos period. Hurts job prospects if visable.
  • fammatthews4
    May 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    I agree with the at least 18 rule. Neither of my kids have tats. My 20yo has said that he may get one one day but not until he has found one that he likes and has liked for several years.
  • zacmacsmomm
    May 3, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I tol m kids that NO tattoos untill they were 18..I wasn't signing for them.  I have a couple of them, but didnt' get my first one till I was 27

• Carmen66
    May 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM

my kids were 18 when they first got them, now they have quite a few. I think 18 is the right age to get them.

• PurpleHazey
    May 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Not until they are 18 here, that is the one think that I have all say so over and I will use it!

• PurpleHazey
    May 3, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

I tol m kids that NO tattoos untill they were 18..I wasn't signing for them.  I have a couple of them, but didnt' get my first one till I was 27

Same here.

• sabrtooth1
    May 3, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    Stupid. No. Never. Mine are 31 & 29, and say they are glad we never let them, while they were young and dumb. Now they don't want them.

Moms with Teens