Moms with Teens

chattycassie
Science project gone wrong? PIOG
May 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I seen this article on yahoo and got me thinking.... http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/teen-arrested-expelled-science-project-gone-bad-205842602.html Sounds like she just made her own "science project" with only the information in this article it sounds like to me that she was doing this because she wanted to not for a project. What do you think? Is the petition to drop charges a good thing? We have 0 tolerance in most schools does this fall into that area or is it really just a project gone wrong? What do you think?

Replies

• luckysevenwow
    May 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I don't think it was part of a project per say, but that doesn't mean she wasn't doing it as a science experiment. Kids aren't always the brightest people, sometimes they really don't think their actions through, and based off of the principals statement I assume she just made a stupid mistake.

Recently we have had a rash of those types of 'bombs' being left out in the open, in the case of whoever is doing those ones, I would say they know what they are doing and the risk they are putting people at at.

I don't really know what the right answer is. Zero tolerance has really taken common sense out of schools. It doesn't sound like her intentions were to harm though....

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    May 2, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    Suspended, not expelled.
  • chattycassie
    May 2, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I agree that the 0 tolerance is really taking the common sense out of schools. I however have to say at 16 she should have known better than to be taking things to school like this. She could have really hurt someone.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

I don't think it was part of a project per say, but that doesn't mean she wasn't doing it as a science experiment. Kids aren't always the brightest people, sometimes they really don't think their actions through, and based off of the principals statement I assume she just made a stupid mistake.

Recently we have had a rash of those types of 'bombs' being left out in the open, in the case of whoever is doing those ones, I would say they know what they are doing and the risk they are putting people at at.

I don't really know what the right answer is. Zero tolerance has really taken common sense out of schools. It doesn't sound like her intentions were to harm though....

• luckysevenwow
    May 2, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Should have known better, unless she really didn't understand just how destructive these chemical compounds could be when mixed.

I'm not saying she doesn't deserve some kinda consequence, but expulsion and being arrested seems like overkill to me.

Quoting chattycassie:

I agree that the 0 tolerance is really taking the common sense out of schools. I however have to say at 16 she should have known better than to be taking things to school like this. She could have really hurt someone.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    May 2, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    Also what if someone was hurt?? Kids have to have consequences but explusion is too harsh.
  • jazzgirl205
    May 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM

No one was hurt so all the "what ifs" are moot.  I'm more concerned that the school was so quick to trash her future with a criminal record.  Everyone knows it was just a mistake.  The school acted cruelly.

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    May 2, 2013 at 12:20 PM
    The what if's do matter. Just like pranks. Doesn't matter if no one was hurt, pranks are off limits and punished here. Same type thing. Kids need to think before they act.

Quoting jazzgirl205:

No one was hurt so all the "what ifs" are moot.  I'm more concerned that the school was so quick to trash her future with a criminal record.  Everyone knows it was just a mistake.  The school acted cruelly.

• Msgme
    by Msgme
    May 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM

last year when my dd was in 8th grade  one of her classmates brought to school what he called a bomb. It basically was a paper tube he made and he filled it with the powder from those little things you throw on the floor and pop em.  i believe he included a penny inside the tube as well.  It was passed around alot and one particular girl didn't believe it was a "bomb" and she threw it and it exploded pretty much and she thru it next to a book bag and the book bag caught on fire.  3 month suspension from school and he ended up in counselling.  He wasnt arrested and still made it into a really good hs.

• jazzgirl205
    May 2, 2013 at 12:58 PM

"What ifs" are just used to scare other people and keep them in line.  When I lived in a an upscale town, I heard that phrase constantly.  A person can what if anything to death.  

Quoting atlmom2:

The what if's do matter. Just like pranks. Doesn't matter if no one was hurt, pranks are off limits and punished here. Same type thing. Kids need to think before they act.

Quoting jazzgirl205:

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    May 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM
    Doesn't matter with sue happy idiots out there, what if's matter do matter whatever the neighborhood is like.

Quoting jazzgirl205:

"What ifs" are just used to scare other people and keep them in line.  When I lived in a an upscale town, I heard that phrase constantly.  A person can what if anything to death.  

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting jazzgirl205:

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts