Moms with Teens

LatTLP
8th Grade Graduation Gift or No Gift?
by LatTLP
May 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM

So when i graduated 8th grade we had an actual graduation (cap & gown). My son is graduating at the end of the month and I feel like we should do something for him, special gift... but not sure what. Any ideas? Or is 8th grade no longer a milestone? I don't want to be "those parents" who either do nothing at all or do too much. lol He is my oldest at 14 and this will set the tone for future graduations. What have you gals done? bought?

Replies

• boys2men2soon
    May 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Our school has a ceremony.... no caps n gowns, though.      My oldest son went on a limo ride with a bunch of other 8th grade grads.   He also went on the 8th grade Washington DC trip a week after school was out...that was his gift, lol.

My youngest son had no interest in the class trip or a limo ride.   We took him to dinner and bought him a new video game, lol.

• lucky2Beeme
    May 1, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Here it's not a big deal. We went for ice cream sundaes.

• Cindy18
    by Cindy18
    May 1, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    No graduation from any grade except 12th, here. I think it's ridiculous to "graduate" from any other grade. IMO, It belittles the 12th grade graduatuion.
  • atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    May 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM
    We didn't make a big deal. School did a ceremony, dance and 8th grade trip. That was more than enough.
  • fammatthews4
    May 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Here it was not a big deal at all.  No special ceremony at school or anything.  We didn't get anything for our kids when they graduated 8th grade

• Jessie3398
    May 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    I get my kids a gift every year :o/
  • Jessiejack
    May 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM

We did not make a big deal about it but we did get her a new bead for her chameleon bracelet. My son is only 5 so I dont have any ideas for a boy

• sabrtooth1
    May 1, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Every school district around here, for an hour in any given direction, has a full graduation for 8th grade.  Most people have a party for their kid, and it's customary to give a cash gift, if you attend the party.  Same for HS grad party, and college grad party as well. 

We had nice parties for our kids, and got them gifts as well.  What you do is up to you.

• jthompson1976
    May 1, 2013 at 11:40 PM

oh yea still big deal.. my son grad from eighth grade.. i got him a nice card with money in it. they had after graduation dance

• drfink
    by drfink
    May 2, 2013 at 12:16 AM

A ceremony with Deans Awards ,Principle Awards ,Choir ,Orchestra ,Band and Dance.A video of the three years.This all is in about an hour or less.So nothing extensive.We go to dinner with friends with kids that are friends and the next day a group goes to play Paintball.This is what all three of my sons did.My daughter and a couple of friends slept over ,went to the movies and played Lazer Quest, No procession or caps and gowns.We didn't give presents and no one we know did.Just a little fun celebration for moving on to high school.

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts