Moms with Teens

hancex6
EDUCATION or HEALTH (SPORTS)??????HELP?????
by hancex6
April 26, 2013 at 8:27 AM

A little over a year ago, my husband's work forced us to move and leave an Excellent School.  The school we came to (recommended by DH's employees) turned out to be a joke.  They have been a focus school the last 2 years, due to poor test scores, my son that has a LD, has not had his IEP requirements met since day one, and the schools excuse is they don't have the funding or resources, and the teachers avoid any type of communication.

Last year our county (12 miles from my house) opened a Charter academy, and after talking to the Superintendent, attending information session, and getting feedback from other parents that have children attending, we have decided it is best for our children's education.  

My boys have never really taken an interest in sports, so the fact that they do not offer sports yet, wasn't a priority for us.  Then for some miraculous reason my eldest (14, in the 8th Grade) decides to sign up for Track.  He seems to take a liking to it, and so far is the only sport I haven't heard, "Can I quit," after the fist week.  So I am so torn and do not know what to do.  He is my one child that is on the heavier side, and needs all the physical activity he can get.  Ultimately he could still run for our community school, but the conflict is that practice is form 3-4pm, and the Charter School does not get out til 4:30pm.  The meets even start at 4, a half hour before Charter School ends their day.  Do I tell my son, he doesn't have a choice he is going to Charter School, or do I let him stay at the Community School so he can continue track, while my other 3 children go to the Charter Academy.  If it wasn't the Health benefit (which he really needs) of sports, I wouldn't be so torn.  Advice Please.

Replies

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    April 26, 2013 at 8:46 AM

That is a difficult choice.  Very hard.  Sad the other school has no sports.  Will he go to HS next year anyway or will he be 8th grade next year.  If so, can you wait till HS for sports and go to the better school for a year?? 

• hancex6
    by hancex6
    April 26, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Unfortunately he is in 8th this year and startsHS in the fall, makes it all the more difficult.  

• leighp1
    by leighp1
    April 26, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Our schools here let the children from the charter school join in in the sports that the charter school does not offer. Example.  a friend of dd went to the charter school, but played football for the public school.  it worked out nicely and both schools worked very well together.  You might want to see if that is possible.  I am not sure how I would handle this because we have always said school is more important than anything else, but now I am thinking that the activities outside of school and extracuricular activities might be better.  So I would be totally torn.

• hancex6
    by hancex6
    April 26, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I figured he would be able to play here at our local school, since we reside and pay taxes here, but what the conflict is, is that practice times conflict with school hours of Charter Schools, so I have to make the choice, Charter School or Sports.  I agree in a normal situation I would say school, but we are talking about a kid who has finally found, after 8 years of school, something he likes, gets him out of the house and gets him to socialize with other kids his age, all of which he has not done up til now.  He is 5'6" and weighs 180, and since all these schools have cut Physical Ed programs, he doesn't get much, so I was so excited when he took to track.  

What are the chances that the Charter School would let him out an hour and a half early for track practice, lol.  Just kidding I wouldn't even ask something like that.

Quoting leighp1:

Our schools here let the children from the charter school join in in the sports that the charter school does not offer. Example.  a friend of dd went to the charter school, but played football for the public school.  it worked out nicely and both schools worked very well together.  You might want to see if that is possible.  I am not sure how I would handle this because we have always said school is more important than anything else, but now I am thinking that the activities outside of school and extracuricular activities might be better.  So I would be totally torn.

• Carmel63
    April 26, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Honestly, I would have hired an attorney and sued the school.  I say that as a parent with a son on an extensive IEP.  It is illegal for them to say they can not meet his needs due to funding.

But, to answer your question, education over sports.  

• hancex6
    by hancex6
    April 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Thank You...and as for IEP school is already being sued by one of their former Special Ed teachers.  They are being sued for 2 seperate things, so someone else beat me to the punch.  I agree education before sports, in our case it is education, or health.  I am still leaning for education, but leterally am sick to my stomach, when I am taking him out of physical activity, which is the one thing he needs, to sit in a classroom on his rear for an extra hour and a half a day, and year round instead of having summers off where he gets most of his physical activity in. 

Quoting Carmel63:

Honestly, I would have hired an attorney and sued the school.  I say that as a parent with a son on an extensive IEP.  It is illegal for them to say they can not meet his needs due to funding.

But, to answer your question, education over sports.  

• Barabell
    April 26, 2013 at 9:48 AM

My gut feeling is to go for the education since that is what will get him further in life. It's hard for me to say though because my child has been very interested in sports since he was old enough to play. He's in junior high too, and all his sports are still not played with the school. We also have the option of a local rec association that offers track in the summer (but my son plays soccer with them and has no interest in track). I am unaware of the rec sports in your area, but it's possible that you could find a place that will still provide a sports outlet for him while he goes to the better charter school.

• hancex6
    by hancex6
    April 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM

No chance of rec sports around here, we live in a small resort community, and the majority of the population is 62 and older, lol.  Our community center offers things like Square Dance, Yoga for Citizens, and Sweat'n to the Oldies (which is actually more up my alley).  So that is not an Option.  Our old home town had a lot of rec opportunities.  

I think I left out that the new school is extended days and year round, so the only sports he would be able to do is if the Charter School adds that option.  It isn't that they have absolutely no extra activities, they do have a "dance/cheer" team, but guarantee my son wouldn't be interested in that, lol.  

Guess I will have to be once again, the worst mom ever put him in the better school, have him hate me for the rest of his life (not really, just how I feel), and pray and pray they open up more sports within the first year.  Or maybe we won't get accepted and then I won't have to make the decision;-)  I will know by the end of next week.  

Quoting hancex6:

A little over a year ago, my husband's work forced us to move and leave an Excellent School.  The school we came to (recommended by DH's employees) turned out to be a joke.  They have been a focus school the last 2 years, due to poor test scores, my son that has a LD, has not had his IEP requirements met since day one, and the schools excuse is they don't have the funding or resources, and the teachers avoid any type of communication.

Last year our county (12 miles from my house) opened a Charter academy, and after talking to the Superintendent, attending information session, and getting feedback from other parents that have children attending, we have decided it is best for our children's education.  

My boys have never really taken an interest in sports, so the fact that they do not offer sports yet, wasn't a priority for us.  Then for some miraculous reason my eldest (14, in the 8th Grade) decides to sign up for Track.  He seems to take a liking to it, and so far is the only sport I haven't heard, "Can I quit," after the fist week.  So I am so torn and do not know what to do.  He is my one child that is on the heavier side, and needs all the physical activity he can get.  Ultimately he could still run for our community school, but the conflict is that practice is form 3-4pm, and the Charter School does not get out til 4:30pm.  The meets even start at 4, a half hour before Charter School ends their day.  Do I tell my son, he doesn't have a choice he is going to Charter School, or do I let him stay at the Community School so he can continue track, while my other 3 children go to the Charter Academy.  If it wasn't the Health benefit (which he really needs) of sports, I wouldn't be so torn.  Advice Please.

• MamaSnaps
    April 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM

As much as I am an advocate of sports for children I'd have to choose education in this situation. There is NOTHING that should take precedence over a good education.
    Now, having said that is the 14 year old making good grades and learning all that he needsd to learn? Are HIS test scores in the acceptable to excellent range? If they are and I felt his needs were being met by the current school I would then consider leaving him there. That is assuming that is not the child with the IEP.

I seriously don't like the hours of the charter school. THat precludes those kids from a LOT of outside after school activities. Especially when they don't already offer them. I do understand that there is a big movement to get the day started a bit later in school. However, at this point it's just not feasible. 

Question-is the charter a part of the city public school system? Because if it is then some type of arrangements should be made for those kids to be able to participate in the activities offered by the public school system. 

• hancex6
    by hancex6
    April 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM

You get my point exactly....he is not the one with the IEP, his grades are A & B's, however the curriculum is way less demanding than at our old school or the Charter, but still his Grades are not an issue at all.  I don't necessarily like Charter Hours either, but for my Child that has Memory Deficit it is actually a blessing, because he doesn't have the learning loss over long summer!  They don't start any later than regular school, they just have longer days (extra 1.5 hours).  But the day is broken up and less pressed, they have a specific class at end of day for kids to do any homework and to get 1 on 1 help with any homework, creating less to do at home, so parents don't get frustrated when they have 4 kids all needing help with homework as soon as they walk in the door, lol.

Yes, the Charter School is in the same School District as the Public School, so kids that live in the town of Charter School, if they do not attend the Charter School, then they come her to where my kids are now.  My 14 year old also, wants to really get a summer job, which he will not be able to do if attending Charter School, but that is least of my concern, we are willing to pay for all his needs. 

There is some animosity between the Charter and Public school, more so the Public School bad mouthing Charter for stealing their students.  That was a topic that was brought up at the Charter School and the Superintendents response was, "I will tell my parents, what I tell my staff, I don't even want to here the topic, it is time wasted that we could be spending on the childrens education, which is my top priority." Talk about impressive!  So I think our Public School will tell me to get lost, but I will be asking the Athletic Director if there are any possibilities (I am waiting til I know for sure the kids are accepted at Charter)

A bonus at the Charter School is they have a Co-operative High School learning.  Which means for those advanced students, they have the possibility of Graduated with a High School diploma and a College Associates degree.  Wiping out 2 years of College in high school, for no cost!  

Quoting MamaSnaps:

As much as I am an advocate of sports for children I'd have to choose education in this situation. There is NOTHING that should take precedence over a good education.
    Now, having said that is the 14 year old making good grades and learning all that he needsd to learn? Are HIS test scores in the acceptable to excellent range? If they are and I felt his needs were being met by the current school I would then consider leaving him there. That is assuming that is not the child with the IEP.

I seriously don't like the hours of the charter school. THat precludes those kids from a LOT of outside after school activities. Especially when they don't already offer them. I do understand that there is a big movement to get the day started a bit later in school. However, at this point it's just not feasible. 

Question-is the charter a part of the city public school system? Because if it is then some type of arrangements should be made for those kids to be able to participate in the activities offered by the public school system. 

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts