Moms with Teens

bellasmom32510
Chores
April 9, 2013 at 11:01 PM

How do you deal with your teens and basic chores? SD knows her room is her responsibility but tonight DH and SD got into it because DH told SD to clean up after dinner. She told him NO, and asked why he didn't do it. He said he had to study and had school work to do. Then she asked why I couldn't do it. DH responded that I was the one who fixed dinner and so she could clean up. She said her role was to eat dinner, not clean up. DH was getting annoyed quick. She continued to argue with him about it for a few more minutes. She is NEVER asked to vacuum and hasn't been asked to clean up the kitchen in MONTHS. There wasn't even a lot to do, put the lids on the left over bowls, put the condiments away, rinse dishes and put them in the dishwasher and then wipe down the kitchen countertops. When she finally did it, it took her a whole 5 minutes.

What chores do you expect your kids to do?

Replies

• MJP76
    by MJP76
    April 9, 2013 at 11:29 PM

The basic chores that DD has is her bedroom, two bathrooms, vacuums the upstairs, and she dusts the entire house.

she also does anything else I ask her to do. She doesn't give me lip. I just ask her and she does it.

• bluelola
    April 10, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Our kids set the table, clean up after dinner, clean out the dishwasher, clean their rooms (haha on this one), and vacuum, dust, clean the bathroom downstairs because I am never down there.... just them and their friends.  DS1 is 16 and has a p/t job but he still has to help out.  DS2 is 10 and he actually likes to help with cooking, not as much with cleaning up but he does it.

• jojo_star
    April 10, 2013 at 12:31 AM

They have to keep their rooms clean, and the rest of the chores they rotate, DH and I both work, so everyone helps out with everything (dishes, vacuuming, trash, laundry), our oldest two are 15 and 16, they each cook one day a week, more if they want, and our oldest has a car and he helps with driving and errands. They get allowances, and if they don't do their chores, DH or I or one of the other kids will do it, but the person who slacked losses their allowance for the week and their iPod and kindle and any other nonessential electronics. We very, very rarely have a problem with them not doing chores, when they say no or don't do them, we know they are either sick, or something has happened at school or with a friend. We all help out, so no one child feels like they get too much work to do. Primary focus is on school though, if grades slip, they stop doing chores until grades are up, but of course, that is reflected in their allowance. 

• bizzeemom2717
    April 10, 2013 at 3:38 AM
    She cleans her room (vacuume, dust every Friday if she wants to go out with friends) and makes dinner on tues nights
  • bizzeemom2717
    April 10, 2013 at 3:41 AM
    I'm not big into "making" kids do chores, only kids once, reason my kids don't work outside the home except for babysitting either while they are in high school, plenty of time to do that as an adult. I know I am in the minority in that opinion
  • lakerfan420
    April 10, 2013 at 4:12 AM
    They're basically responsible for themselves, which means keeping the common areas clear of their stuff, washing any dishes they use, cleaning their bathrooms weekly and they do help out when asked. I do most of the housework since I stay at home but get no complaints when I do ask. They all know by now not to argue with us as we are the ones who drive them places and fund their activities. If you don't want to do your part to help the household run smoothly, don't expect me to drive you to the movies and then pay for it. And if your attitude sucks, don't make any plans for the weekend. Period.
  • lakerfan420
    April 10, 2013 at 4:37 AM
    I agree with this. My kids do have to clean up after themselves though. We've always said we didn't want our kids working while in school. Getting good grades and being involved in extracurricular activities is their job so they can hopefully go to college. My oldest does tutor, but she's extremely advanced and probably could work an outside job and still do great. She's almost 15 and wants to work, so we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. My next two are 13 and 11, and definitely need time to study and probably will throughout high school. I would hate to see them drop sports or music just so they could work and still get good grades. They are very enterprising though and will do stuff at my mom's house for extra cash and made a bundle this year shoveling snow around the neighborhood. To me that should be the extent of kids working as 18 years go by way too fast and they have the rest of their lives to work.

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

I'm not big into "making" kids do chores, only kids once, reason my kids don't work outside the home except for babysitting either while they are in high school, plenty of time to do that as an adult. I know I am in the minority in that opinion

• wakymom
    by wakymom
    April 10, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Mine don't have a lot of set chores, but they are expected to help out w/ things when asked.

• ETHANMASONMOMMY
    April 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    My boys are 11 and 6 and they really dont have set chores but if I ask them to do something I expect them to do it.
  • chattycassie
    April 10, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I have three daughters 14,11,7 and  they do all the chores around the house. They clean the kit bathroom living room they sweep mop put away clothes. Set table clear table just to name a few.

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN