Moms with Teens

momof98and03
How much does college cost?
March 26, 2013 at 3:42 PM

My dd is in 9th grade. I want to know what would be average cost of undergraduate college courses? Just give me a rough esitmate annually....

Replies

• gabyangy
    March 26, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I live in FL  and I have a daughter at Florida State University with classes, books, apartment and food it about $8,000 a semester.  My youngest just got accepted there too and also at University of South Florida and for the whole year at USF its around 30,000.  It is mandatory for Freshman at USF to have a meal plan which the cheapest is $2000 a semester and Room and Board at USF is 8,000 a semester. 

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    March 26, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    Depends, community college, states schools, private schools?? State schools are $25,000 or so a year for tuition and room and board. Private schools $40,000+ a year. Community college $100 or so a credit hour and that varies from school and state to state.
  • charlotsomtimes
    March 26, 2013 at 4:33 PM

depends on what school, and how many grants and scholarships she gets...

we are currently trying to figure out how to get my daughter moved out- so she can be considered on her own so she can get more grants and such...we make enough that she didn't get any, but not enough that we can just throw money around either...UGH

• MJP76
    by MJP76
    March 26, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Roughly this. 

Quoting atlmom2:

Depends, community college, states schools, private schools?? State schools are $25,000 or so a year for tuition and room and board. Private schools $40,000+ a year. Community college $100 or so a credit hour and that varies from school and state to state.

• momof98and03
    March 26, 2013 at 4:44 PM

So, that means about roughly 100,000$ per child for undergraduate degree?? And does this include accomodation etc.,

Whats the advantage and disadvantage of going to community college?

• momof98and03
    March 26, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Also please tell me if how do these student loans work out? If child is going to undergraduate program in state college then will taking bank loan burden her more??

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    March 26, 2013 at 4:49 PM
    Usually parents income counts even if you are living on your own. That doesn't work because more parents would try it.

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

we are currently trying to figure out how to get my daughter moved out- so she can be considered on her own so she can get more grants and such...we make enough that she didn't get any, but not enough that we can just throw money around either...UGH

• drfink
    by drfink
    March 26, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Currently in Texas a state university is around 15,000 to about 20,000 a year in tuition room and board around 5,500 to 8,000 a year on campus.

Private is from 30,000 to 50,000 and room and board around 8,000.

Our most local c.c. is a 1,000 for a semester of tuition.We live in the tax zone but those who live out of the tax zone it is at least double.It is some how connected with our and other school districts and we pay.My sister lives less than 8 miles away in the same city but different school district ,one that doesn't participate in the taxes and they have paid a lot for summer school there.

• MamaSnaps
    March 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Roughly $35K per year: http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2010/08/24/the-average-cost-of-a-us-college-education

• drfink
    by drfink
    March 26, 2013 at 5:03 PM

ya at least at our colleges the requirements to prove independence are pretty extensive.They have to prove proof of some income and zip support from parents if it is within three years of graduation from high school I think.

Quoting atlmom2:

Usually parents income counts even if you are living on your own. That doesn't work because more parents would try it.

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN