Moms with Teens

jessica2vjv
Sweet 16 party?
February 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Hi so I am trying to figure out where I'm supposed to have my d sweet 16 party. I really do not want to have it at my house. I never planned something think this so I'm kinda lost. I don't know where would be a place that wouldnt be ridiculous cost wise meaning the prices of a wedding. but at the same time really nice. Anyone planned a sweet 16 before? I would love some help please. Thanks.

Replies

• hollydaze1974
    February 11, 2013 at 2:43 PM
    A ballroom at a hotel ( except they make thier money on food and will expect you to cater from them with the exception of the cake)

My parent's rented out our local teen center for mine.

Be quirky and rent the roller rink :-)

Some non profits have space to rent like the VFW, Kawanis Club, Lion's Club but you have to leave it as spic and span as you found it.
    ( my wedding reception was at a Kawanis Club space, inlaws decorated, my family cleaned up)

One of the larger " committee " rooms hotels have that either have no beds or a Murphy bed. We've used those as refreshment rooms while doing conferences when I worked.

What is she envisioning and how many guests? That would help alot in making a good decision in space.
  • MrsBLB
    by MrsBLB
    February 11, 2013 at 9:58 PM

If the weather is nice you could do something at a park.  Maybe a hotel room?

• sabrtooth1
    February 11, 2013 at 10:06 PM

If you don't have it at your house, it WILL cost a left lung.  Be advised.  That said, you don't want liquor involved, so no one gets killed & you don't get arrested.   Having it out will reduce the chances.  We've used Dave & Buster's, a water park (your local village rec center may have availability), a roller rink, and a bowling alley-- cosmic or candlelight bowls are fun.  Except for D&B's, you'll need to make sure you can bring in the cake, pizza & soda.  Ask if they will supply the utensils & cups--for a price, of course. 

• JustaSM231
    February 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Look for a local community center.  Ours is about $75 for 2 hours and you get tables, chairs, bathroom, kitchenette.  Have a dance, a carnival, something like that so you can make your own games.  If it's nice outside, check out a local pool.  You can somtimes rent a pavilion area if they have one while the pool is open or rent the pool after hours (more expensive).  Roller skating party, Dave and Busters, or a movie party where DD takes x number of friends to the movies.  We have this same issue coming up, but I have 2 years to plan it!! I am starting now trying to look at places and costs etc.

• suesues
    by suesues
    February 12, 2013 at 8:51 AM

rent a little hall like knights of columbus bring in food and music I had my dau in hall who supplied food dj bar and photos what a waste of money but we had a great time

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    February 12, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    We had our girls at the house. No alcohol. One was a luau. Other was a KY Derby party.
  • fammatthews4
    February 12, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    I agree with most of the above. Check out community centers, VFW halls, etc. those types of places you can keep the cost down by doing the food yourself.
  • woodswalker
    February 12, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Dont go broke throwing a Sweet 16 party.    Rent a pavilion at a local park.   You can play your own music, outdoor games, barbecue.  

You could just take her and a few of her close friends out to a nice restaurant or concert.   Or even just a mother daughter weekend road trip.  

• nsparky1964
    February 12, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    We didn't fall into that sweet 16 Mega party crap..we took the teen and her bf to 6 flags for the day...
  • Roo1234
    by Roo1234
    February 12, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    What this your daughter want? What can you realistically afford ? Find the middle ground.

Sometimes you can find inexpensive venues like community centers, but that is only one small piece of the cost.

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts