Moms with Teens

Truluv4ever
NOT ALLOWED to carry a purse in school, WTH!?!?!!!!
February 1, 2013 at 1:29 PM

So, I am kinda PO'D!! My daughter is 13 !/2 years old, she started her period last year and she thought it would be a good idea to carry a purse during the day to put all of her essential things in like her feminine products, her inhaler, lunch money ect. WELL, The teachers yelled at her to go put the purse in her locker NOW, You can NOT carry that with you!! I think this is wrong and I want to call the school and *B* them out but I'm not sure if I should, it just really doesn't seem fair!!! What do you ladies think??? Give me some advice~Please!

P.S. This happend the other day and she has been carrying her inhaler & money in her pockets but now with feminine items, it's just too much to stuff in her pockets~

Replies

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    February 1, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    Many schools have lots of new rules today. Some allow no purses and you have to have see through backpacks. Some, no backpacks in classes. Different world, different time.
  • luckysevenwow
    February 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Are they allowed to carry backpacks? Every school has different rules, ours could carry purses but not backpacks, sucked for kids with classes on the opposite end of the school. 

Maybe call up the school and ask their reasoning. Also my girls were prone to putting their personals in pencil cases, they said it was less obvious that way. Everyone knew a girl carrying her purse into the bathroom meant...well yeah it was that time of the month.

• movieq
    by movieq
    February 1, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I think the no purse rule makes it difficult for young girls just starting their periods but I see where the schools are coming from.  I'd suggest she keep them in her locker and then slip it in her pocket when she needs to use it.  Sadly the only benefit from calling the school will be to make you feel better.

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    February 1, 2013 at 1:48 PM
    My dd never carried a purse until she started driving and only now, it is just keys and drivers license in a tiny case. You can work around it.
  • fammatthews4
    February 1, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    What does the school handbook say? I know in both our middle and High school backpacks/book bags were not allowed during the school day but purses were. If its not addressed in the handbook call the school and clarify the no purse rule. If that truly is the school policy there isn't much you can do about it.
  • 02nana07
    Ida
    February 1, 2013 at 2:11 PM

The pencil case is a good idea unless a boy gets it and opens it looking for a pencil

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    February 1, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    Like they don't know this happens.

Quoting 02nana07:

The pencil case is a good idea unless a boy gets it and opens it looking for a pencil

• Jerzymom
    February 1, 2013 at 2:25 PM

What about a small purse, like a wristlette?  I think the schools are getting out of control with all their rules.  I would ask if the teachers carry a purse why can't the girls? Do the teachers shove tampons and pads into their pockets?

• 02nana07
    Ida
    February 1, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I know when I was in school the only privacy was a purse or your pockets anything else was fair game.  In the winter maybe a hoodie pocket but that doesn't help when the weather gets warm

Quoting atlmom2:

Like they don't know this happens.

Quoting 02nana07:

• bizzeemom2717
    Jen
    February 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Why would you call the school? If it's a rule there is nothing you can do to change it and you will more than likely only embarrass your child. My DD's school has the same rule and she's had her period for 3 years with no problems, perfect time to teach your DD to problem solve..

Moms with Teens