Moms with Teens

MrsJoe125
First Period
January 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM

One of my girls, I KNOW she'll tell me THE DAY (if not the minute) she starts her first period.  (She just wants to get the starting part over with.)
My other daughter, I'm not so sure she'll tell me.

My oldest developed breast buds THE night before her 11th bday.  Literally, she went to bed flat and woke up with them in the am.  Sounds weird to me, but it's true.  My second is 1.5 yrs younger and started about 6 mos after her older sis.  This was more than 2 years ago now, so...  I was told that girls start their periods a couple years after starting to grow breast buds.

I saw a post on here a while back about this.  I didn't have time to study the replies, but it seemed like the underarm hair is a better indication of when they'll start their period.  I noticed about a week ago that #2 has pit hair, but I don't think #1 does.

I don't care who starts first.  I'm not hung up on them telling me.  In fact, I have made all info available to them as I get it and I have asked no questions, but made sure they know that I'm here if they have questions or need to talk, and that I would like to know, but that I'm totally okay with them not telling me RIGHT when they start (as long as they know; and I impressed upon them the importance of keeping track, I have a period app and they know that I am careful to keep it up to date).  I digress.

Please help me know how to know about when they might start, so I can pass along accurate info to them.  I'm including a poll, please vote if one of the answers is accurate.  I would have liked to have had a better idea of when my period was going to start and, in hindsight, I wish I hadn't had to tell my SM; I'm pretty sure she advertised the pad she walked all the way to the other end of the house to get me, past everybody else, and I have to wonder if she deliberately didn't put some pads in "the kids' bathroom".

How can you tell when a girl is going to start her first period?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 20% - a couple of years after breast buds
  2. 0% - within six months of underarm hair
  3. 0% - by when she gets pubic hair
  4. 80% - no tellling at all
  5. 0% - other

Replies

• MrsJoe125
    January 28, 2013 at 8:06 PM

BUMP

Please help me, ladies.  I don't have a mom or g-ma to ask these things to.

• MrsJoe125
    January 28, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I don't WANT to seem desparate, but I am.

PLEASE HELP!!!

• fammatthews4

My daughter had all of the above for years before she started.  Full breasts, hair in all the places but didn't start until the month before she turned 17 so I don't think you can always tell.   I think all you really can do is talk to them now and make sure they are prepared.  Buy supplies for them and let them know where they are just in case.  My daughter didn't even tell me that she started I had to ask her as I had seen pad wrappers in the trash.  She had known what to expect and where her supplies were so she just dealt with it.

• becauseIsaid

Honestly I am not really sure. My little one is only 9 and we haven't gone through this yet. We have had the talk though and I bought her the american girl book all about me. Recommend the book by the way. I would imagine though each child is different. Just keep an open line of communication with her. Hopefully she will tell you when the time comes.

• fantasticfour

Mine started about 6 months after pubic hair, both started this month for the first time, one is 12 the other is 14

• MrsJoe125
    January 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I think my oldest might go this way (knowing her, she can hold ANYTHING for EVER!!!) lol  Anyway, my younger daugher, I think is like me.  I started about six months after getting underarm hair.

Thank you SOOOOO much for replying!!!!

Quoting fammatthews4:

My daughter had all of the above for years before she started.  Full breasts, hair in all the places but didn't start until the month before she started 17 so I don't think you can always tell.

• MrsJoe125
    January 28, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I came across the American Girl book the care and keeping of me when #1 was about ??? 9-ish, and she has it, refers to it, has shared it with her sister, etc.  I try to keep the lines of communication open, but somethings they only talk to each other about.

Thank you for replying. :-)

Quoting becauseIsaid:

Honestly I am not really sure. My little one is only 9 and we haven't gone through this yet. We have had the talk though and I bought her the american girl book all about me. Recommend the book by the way. I would imagine though each child is different. Just keep an open line of communication with her. Hopefully she will tell you when the time comes.

• MrsJoe125
    January 28, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I think they both have had pubic hair for about a year.  I think mine are going to start close to the same time too.

Thank you for replying!!!

Quoting fantasticfour:

Mine started about 6 months after pubic hair, both started this month for the first time, one is 12 the other is 14

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    January 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM
    One dd was 12. Other dd was 14.
  • woodswalker
    January 28, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I dont think theres a sure-fire way to tell.  Just start talking to them now about what will happen and what to do.  And show them where you keep the pads and how to use them.  Most likely they will tell you right away anyway. 

By the time your daughter is 10 at least you should already have been discussing menstruation and that her first period might happen any time.  Some of my daughters friends started in fifth grade and some still dont have it yet halfway through 7th. 

Mine got her first one this past September.  She was 12.  She told me right away.  Glad I was home and not working.  I always wondered if I would be there when it happened or if I'd be freaking working:)  We celebrated with a dinner out at her favorite place. 

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN