Moms with Teens

fantasticfour
Teenage Internet Addiction
January 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I have read several articles lately that outline teenage internet addiction.  Although my girls don't have the symptoms for it, my son does.  Do your kids fall into the category? 

• Tolerance — Needing to play more and more in order to experience the same “rush”
  • Obsession — Spending most offline time thinking about past online experiences and planning for future online sessions
  • Frustration, anxiety, and/or irritability when not able to go online
  • Abandoning friends and other hobbies in order to focus on online activities
  • Continuing to spend time online even after negative repercussions (such as school problems, deteriorating relationships, and even health problems)

The following are among the specific signs that could indicate the presence of teen Internet addiction:

• Most non-school hours are spent on the computer or playing video games
  • Falling asleep in school
  • Falling behind with assignments
  • Worsening grades
  • Lying about computer or video game use
  • Choosing to use the computer or play video games, rather than see friends
  • Dropping out of other social groups (clubs or sports)
  • Being irritable when not playing a video game or being on the computer

Physical symptoms associated with teen Internet addiction may include the following:

• Carpal tunnel syndrome (associated with repetitive motions such as excessive keyboard use)
  • Insomnia
  • Poor nutrition (failing or refusing to eat in order to remain online)
  • Poor personal hygiene (again, neglecting this important issue in order to focus on online activities)
  • Headaches, back pain, and neck pain
  • Dry eyes and vision problems

Replies

• Reina13
    by Reina13
    January 23, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Thanks for the information.

• justamomma2
    January 24, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Good info, I think my son's addiction is to his cell phone more than his video games, due to that is his only contact with his gf.  When I threatened to take the phone away for inappropriate behavior it was like trying to take a drug away from an addict.  He threatened that it would ruin our relationship forever.  Wow!!!

• mumsy2three
    January 24, 2013 at 12:42 PM

My dd isn't addicted at all, she's rarely online anymore. I can already see this being a possible issue with both of my sons(10 and 7). We already limit the amount of screen time they can have b/c if we didn't they would be in front of a computer/ipod all day.

• gonecrazi
    January 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Thanks for the info...

• sunflowers12
    January 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM

gosh, i think everyone has it really just cause your young doesn't make it any different we all can use self discipline..

• gizmo538
    January 25, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Yep. That is my step-son. Whenever we had visitation, he would bury himself in either his video games, his cell phone, or his ipod. We'd take them away because he would do nothing but play those games. He wouldn't socialize with anyone except the people he met online.

We've tried to get the BM to help us limit his time but she doesn't care. Mainly because she's an internet addict herself.

• diaperstodating
    January 25, 2013 at 12:42 AM
    Thank you for the info.
  • bizzeemom2717
    January 25, 2013 at 1:20 AM
    Great info. So far we haven't had this issue
  • BelindaDuvessa
    January 25, 2013 at 3:32 AM

I'm chiming in, because this was on the top feed.  I was addicted (and still am) to the internet. It's gotten better as I've gotten older, but alot of these signs I can relate to, even now at 28 years old.  After having kids, my attention has focused more towards them, but I definitely have withdrawals if I don't get on at least once a day.  Just like any addiction, really.  This includes my phone.

• vinalex0581
    January 25, 2013 at 9:28 AM

sounds like something my SO has and he's 32!!

I have some of those symptoms sometimes but not as bad.

i'm 30.

i think anyone can get those, not just teens.

=)

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN