Moms with Teens

Redsalamander73
Glasses or contacts?
December 31, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I'm thinking about switching to contacts but I'm not sure if I would like them better. Glasses seem to be a pain, they get smudges which is annoying and they fog up when I come back in the house. It's a pain when I need to switch to sunglasses because then I can't see when I have my sunglasses on. I have the kind of lenses that get dark when you go outside, they don't get dark enough like my sunglasses are. It also takes too long for them to switch back to regular lenses. I don't want to buy prescription sunglasses, too expensive and I would still have to switch glasses when I go back inside.

Does anyone else have this problem? And do contacts work better? What are the pros and cons to contacts?

Replies

• tyfry7496
    December 31, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    Contacts are a lot of work. I've had them since 8th grade ( I'm 41) and wear my glasses more. Then there's the whole sticking your finger in your eye that freaks some people out.
  • fammatthews4
    December 31, 2012 at 9:44 AM

yep the sticking your finger in your eye is why I deal with glasses and don't get contacts.  Just the thought freaks me out 

Quoting tyfry7496:

Contacts are a lot of work. I've had them since 8th grade ( I'm 41) and wear my glasses more. Then there's the whole sticking your finger in your eye that freaks some people out.

• mumsy2three
    December 31, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I've had both through the years but prefer wearing my glasses. I was never able to get used to contacts enough to wear them comfortably.

• Not_A_Native
    December 31, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I wear contacts and LOVE them.  Wore reading glasses for a good 20 years for close up - when I needed bifocals, I went to contacts, and I'm NOT going back!

Obviously, they aren't for everyone, for me they work great.  I can wear regular sunglasses.  I can see everything, no matter the angle (much better for peripheral vision).  I have the "monovision" - one contact for close up, one for far away, which I was told works for about 80% of the population, but most need a "break in" period to get your brain used to it.  I didn't, I was in the 10% that it works right away.

I, and two of my daughters wear the disposable ones that you wear for 2 weeks, taking them out at night (although you can leave in them in a few nights a week).  My husband wears the extended wear ones - wear them for 30 days, day and night.

The only concession I had to make was changing the brand of my mascara, so it doesn't flake into my eye.  I get Lancome now, NOT the waterproof stuff (can't wear the waterproof anything now, because it will flake off).

• MrsJoe125
    December 31, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    I tried contacts. Couldn't get used to the discomfort of gaving something in my eye.
    Dh has been wearing contacts for decades and prefers his glasses (except when a toddler or wife bumps them ).

Quoting mumsy2three:

I've have both through the years but prefer wearing my glasses. I was never able to get used to contacts enough to wear them comfortably.

• diaperstodating
    December 31, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    Contacts are not for me, I wear Transitions.
  • wakymom
    by wakymom
    December 31, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I have the lens that darken, too, but not enough for me. I guess I'm weird- I don't mind having to switch to my prescription sunglasses; I refer to it as switching my eyeballs and it gets a smile out of people : )

• sabrtooth1
    December 31, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I've worn contacts for DECADES, and love them.  I wear soft, 30 day contacts, & they are supremely comfortable, easy to put in and out, and allow me to wear very good quality sunglasses--which I wear in almost any weather.  I have different pairs for different conditions.   I am almost legally blind in one eye, have astigmatisim, and now, need bifocals.  Glasses are VERY heavy, and do not give me the best vision, altho I do have a pair for back up.

• fantasticfour
    December 31, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Contacts get some getting used to and let me tell you they are not any cheaper than glasses.  More than likely you will end up paying for rx glasses and sunglasses by the time you buy a year's worth of contacts. 

Now, contacts are more convient, I love them and can't stand glasses.  But they do take some getting used to.

• 3mom627
    by 3mom627
    December 31, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    I loved contacts until just recently. I am 54 and need to be able to see up close and far. Unless I could afford the expensive bifocals, the Dr. can't quite get my prescription right fir both. Once you get past the adjustment period, I think you will like them. You can see much better.

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN