Moms with Teens

3mom627
What do your teens want for Christmas?
by 3mom627
November 20, 2012 at 2:58 PM

My kids don't want any big items, it's just that what the want is getting pricey. I have 4 kids and I am already stressing about where to get all the money for the gifts.  

Replies

• 02nana07
    Ida
    November 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM

one wants a tablet and the other wants a PSvita they said there is nothing else they want

• gonecrazi
    November 20, 2012 at 3:24 PM

My ds only asked for 3 things but they are pricey. New Ole Miss boots,Costas, and a new phone which he got a couple of weeks ago,because it was time for his upgrade. 

• mumof2girlz
    November 20, 2012 at 3:35 PM
    Keyboard..sperries..nike track suits..coach purse..all pricey..ugh
  • Msgme
    by Msgme
    November 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM

my teens just want Money.  My dd will gladly accept clothes and money  my son wants Money/game stop gift cards. either will do for him.  My 10 year old doesnt really ask for anything.  If its fun she'll be happy.

• JennaBea
    November 20, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Both want laptops.

• mumsy2three
    November 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM

My teen dd has asked for clothes. My sons are asking for bigger ticket items.

• annie2244
    November 20, 2012 at 6:46 PM

We set a limit of about $175 or so per kid, with one big item up to $100, and then I use the other $75 to buy a bunch of smaller stuff on their list. If their one big item costs more than $100, they have to use their own money to supplement.

One kid wants to change her phone to an iphone, since tmobile now covers that. She is going to get the last generation iphone on ebay, since that stays in her $100 budget from us.

The other kid can never think of anything she wants. She's happy with little, isn't interested in showing off. I keep telling her to 'squeek!' a little more, it'd be ok!

If we couldn't afford this budget amount, we'd set a smaller budget.My philosophy is if you can't pay for something in cash, then you shouldn't be buying it. It's all unnecessary fluff. I'm not going to put an unnecessary fluff on credit and pay interest on it. If that's the case, Christmas could be handmade gifts and wrapped homemade cards listing nice favors we'll do for each other, if need be, and it would be fine.

We can afford more  - but it's all fluff! I don't want my kid thinking a new shiny electronic dodad or special name brand whatever is of import. It's materialistic unnecessary status driven fluff! Amusing, fun, but not meaningful. They have a privileged life as it s, I don't want an over the top christmases and birthdays to screw up their values.

• MrsBLB
    by MrsBLB
    November 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Just to be together.  Joe and I will be going to CO to visit hubby and Dan  :)

• bizzeemom2717
    Jen
    November 21, 2012 at 2:02 AM
    If they don't need the gifts why not donate then, adopt a family in need, ect? I agree, if your children already live a priv life and you believe it's all "unecessary status driven stuff" I would put your money and time to much better use.

Quoting annie2244:

We set a limit of about $175 or so per kid, with one big item up to $100, and then I use the other $75 to buy a bunch of smaller stuff on their list. If their one big item costs more than $100, they have to use their own money to supplement.

One kid wants to change her phone to an iphone, since tmobile now covers that. She is going to get the last generation iphone on ebay, since that stays in her $100 budget from us.

The other kid can never think of anything she wants. She's happy with little, isn't interested in showing off. I keep telling her to 'squeek!' a little more, it'd be ok!

If we couldn't afford this budget amount, we'd set a smaller budget.My philosophy is if you can't pay for something in cash, then you shouldn't be buying it. It's all unnecessary fluff. I'm not going to put an unnecessary fluff on credit and pay interest on it. If that's the case, Christmas could be handmade gifts and wrapped homemade cards listing nice favors we'll do for each other, if need be, and it would be fine.

We can afford more  - but it's all fluff! I don't want my kid thinking a new shiny electronic dodad or special name brand whatever is of import. It's materialistic unnecessary status driven fluff! Amusing, fun, but not meaningful. They have a privileged life as it s, I don't want an over the top christmases and birthdays to screw up their values.

• racheal241977
    November 21, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Kate wants UGG boots, Luke wants an ipod touch & Dylan wants a punching bag, 

Have already bought all 3 of them. 

Rule here is make me a list of 10 things you want & you will get 1 or 2 of them, & the rest will be a surprise 

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts