Moms with Teens

proudmother5946
My DD says I'm embarrassing.
November 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM
I can't have my country music on in my car when I pick her up from school. Someone might hear it. I can't knit while waiting for her. It makes me look old. I have to make sure I don't say anything embarrassing in front of her friends.
Anyone else's teen like this?

Replies

• fantasticfour
    November 7, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Mine thinks I'm embarrassing but I don't let it stop me, their friends think I'm cool.

• blondie805
    November 7, 2012 at 9:03 PM

If she wasn't embarrassed, I'd have her checked by a therapist. Don't you remember your parents embarrassing you? My mom and dad used to take me and my sis when we were 12 and 13 to the mall and when they really wanted to humiliate us, they would eat pinto beans before going with us. They walked behind us farting and laughing.  I realize country music and knitting don't come close, but, it's an extreme example. My mom worked in a bakery and she would wear her hair net taking me to school. I'd be so embarrassed. Don't take it personal. She's normal and love her for it.

• Not_A_Native
    November 7, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Of course she'll be embarrassed by you - it's what teenagers do (even if they don't say anything).  Basically, the best way to be a parent to a teen is to stay in the background, drive and hand out money, lol.  They're becoming independent - as they should.  She isn't your friend - she HAS friends.

The good thing is, they tend to get over it in a few years.  Mine are pretty much ok now - but I make it a habit not to talk to their friends too much (but always be friendly), to dress nicely and appropriately, to keep myself in shape, don't go out without hair and makeup done.

• squeekers
    November 7, 2012 at 10:45 PM

if your kid wants a ride home, they will deal with having their parent take time from their day and wait for them. if however they want to complain, how far would your kid have to walk home?

• robyann
    by robyann
    November 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM

LOL ---ALL teenage girls are this way! No matter what you do she's going to be embarrassed by you, so go ahead and do what you want. Evenutally she'll come around and realize your not so bad after all.....but that does take awhile. :)

• suesues
    by suesues
    November 8, 2012 at 7:14 AM

yes but to bad i do it anyway

• leighp1
    by leighp1
    November 8, 2012 at 7:22 AM

I tell her that its my job to embarrass her.  It came with my parenting book my mother gave me and her mother gave her and her mother gave her and so on and so on and then I laugh and snort!!

• lovingmommywife
    November 8, 2012 at 7:24 AM
    Ha I say to bad. U love me. I embarrass the heck out of my dd all the time. I dance and sing in the car. She plugs her ears and hides her face. It's funny when her friends r in the car to.
  • andersongirl562
    November 8, 2012 at 8:08 AM
    No my kids don't talk to me like that and if they did they would be walking home. My car my radio.
  • tyfry7496
    November 8, 2012 at 8:30 AM
    Welcome to teenagers. I'd turn the music up and keep knitting. If she still doesn't like it she would get a bus pass or she would be walking to school.

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts