Moms with Teens

Cafe MichelleP
Should High School Start Later?
October 9, 2012 at 11:09 AM

5 Reasons School Should Start Later in the Day

Posted by Jacqueline Burt

tired teensWhoever thought starting high school at 7 a.m. (or thereabouts) was a good idea?! It's hard enough getting my daughter to middle school at 7:35. And it's not just a matter of parental inconvenience (though, don't get me wrong, I'm in no way, shape, or form looking forward to those crack-of-dawn wake-up calls). Study after study tells us that kids who start high school later are better off and that sleep deprivation causes real damage to teens -- physically, intellectually, and emotionally. And I'm not just talking about kids being cranky at the breakfast table or dozing off in class. This is serious stuff:

5 Reasons Why High School Should Start Later

1. According to a new study, not getting enough sleep can increase a teen's likelihood of developing diabetes by decreasing insulin resistance. (Also, the American Academy of Sleep Medicine says most adolescents need at least nine hours of sleep every night -- and up to 87 percent of teens in America are getting a lot less.)

2. A disturbing 2010 study found that teenagers who go to bed after midnight are 24 percent more likely to suffer from depression than those who go to bed before 10:00 p.m. Yikes!

3. Students are more alert later in the morning. Research shows that during the 7 a.m. hours, teen melatonin levels are still sending sleep signals. How are they supposed to actually LEARN anything?

4. Overtired teens eat more fatty foods. In one study, kids who got less than eight hours of shut-eye on a weeknight consumed more of of their daily calories from fat than teens who slept eight hours or more.

5. Teens who don't get enough sleep are more likely to "drive drowsy," which can lead to serious or even fatal automobile accidents.

Compelling evidence, right? Wonder what it's gonna take for the power-that-be to make a change ...

Do you think high school should start later?

Replies

• FindersKeepers
    October 9, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Here it is actually the school bus schedule that sets the start time.   The idea being that it is 'safer' for high school age students to be at  bus stop in the early morning than the small elementary students.   The buses pick up and drop off for one school, then go around and do it again for the next school.   Start times are staggered to accommodate. 

Quoting atlmom2:

Also some kids were at the bus stop before 7. Little 5 yo kids in the dark waiting for the bus so early. 2nd year there my oldest went to middle school and other dd to a private school so we no longer had to deal with an early grade school bus.

Quoting fammatthews4:

I'm not sure when our middle school changed their start time, when my kids were there they started same time as the HS at 8:30. They now start at 7:30  This is the first place we've been too when HS started later than everyone else

Quoting atlmom2:

It did where we lived in GA. Middle and HS started at 8:30. Grade school started at 7:50. Many hated it because older kids were not home to get younger siblings off the bus. This is the only place we lived where they did this. It pushed after school activities very late too.

• 2KoolMama
    October 9, 2012 at 3:26 PM

My kids go from 8:35 - 3:30.   They love it.  

• Luv.My.Kidz
    October 9, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Hell no high school shouldn't start later! Maybe the kids shouldn't be up all night on their cell phones, laptops, iPads, etc. and go to sleep at 10p like good kids~!

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    October 9, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    Yep, no phones or computers in my home after 9 on school nights.

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Hell no high school shouldn't start later! Maybe the kids shouldn't be up all night on their cell phones, laptops, iPads, etc. and go to sleep at 10p like good kids~!

• Luv.My.Kidz
    October 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM

What are these kids going to do when they are in the work force? Refuse a job because it starts before 10am and say "Oh well in High School I never started before 9am because didn't have to so my body isn't used to it and it's not healthy for me to not have less than 8 hours of sleep a day and I don't go to sleep until midnight!"

They are already entitled enough! My kids are in bed no later than 9:30p for my 12 yr old and 8:30 for my 7yr old. And it's not going to change any time soon. When my youngest gets older the latest he will stay up will be 9:30p. PERIOD.

Quoting atlmom2:

Yep, no phones or computers in my home after 9 on school nights.

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

• luckysevenwow
    October 9, 2012 at 6:07 PM

This was my thought also, if kids are tired they should go to bed earlier. 

Quoting FindersKeepers:

Only #3 in the list supports a later school start time.   The rest of the list supports the need for adequate sleep.    Someone asked a few days ago if Teens still had bedtime and more than anything I think that this article supports the reason for having one. 

I have one child that is a morning person and one that is not.   Starting school later is not the solution in that he needs to learn to get up early and be on time even when he is tired.   He needs to learn to go to bed earlier and plan better at night to make his mornings easier.   Unfortunately life will continue to have challenges and unless he picks a night job he is going to have to learn to deal. 

• fantasticfour
    October 9, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Nope, every excuse on here is about the kids not getting enough sleep.  Stop letting your kid stay up to midnight!

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    October 9, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    Our after school activities and sports start at 2:45. Can't imagine not starting until 4 or after.
  • PurpleHazey
    October 9, 2012 at 9:45 PM

It's 7:20, it started that early when I was a teen.

• PurpleHazey
    October 9, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Quoting fantasticfour:

Nope, every excuse on here is about the kids not getting enough sleep.  Stop letting your kid stay up to midnight!

I like this.

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN