Moms with Teens

my4littlegirls
Would you let your 16 yr old dd date a 19 year old?
September 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Just curious because my dd thinks she should be able to date a 19 yr old who just graduated high school.

Would you let your 16 yr old dd date a 19 yr old?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 17% - yes
  2. 71% - no
  3. 11% - other (please explain)

Replies

• luckysevenwow
    September 6, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Quoting kirbymom:

I would say no. First of all, it is illegal. I would not want anyone being charged with statatory rape if I could prevent that kind of a situation.  Second, a I am not comfortable with a person who is supposed to be done with the high school scene and moving up in the world towards college and work and making their life about finding a career and getting themselves situated as a functioning adult and then turning around and heading back to where they just headed away from. We are supposed to be going forward in our life's adventures. And I know that a 19 yr old and a 16 yr old are going to be on the same page in life. Why would we parents add to what amounts to two people who think differently and by al rights should, because of the direction each one is taking in their respective lives. That is, imho, asking for trouble. Trouble that could be prevented from ever even happening. 

• bizzeemom2717
    September 6, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Quoting my4littlegirls:

I was told by his "aunt" that I'm friends with that my dd is the first girl he treated right. He has a ton of problems. She also has been very disobiedient lately too. She just smashed her brand new phone thats under a 2 yr contract because she was mad. My dh is to the point that she will have to go get her own phone and account because we shouldn't have to pay for her breaking phones (3rd one in a year)

Quoting wakymom:

It would depend. How mature is she? Were they friends before he graduated? If she's pretty mature and responsible for her age and they had already been friends, I might not be happy, but I wouldn't try to say "No way!".

Here is your answer, doen't sound like she is mature enough to handle a relationship like that right now, even if she was I'd say no. She's in HS this kid isn't totally different places in life. If it's meant to be it will still be there in a few years.

• Poly_Parent
    September 6, 2012 at 8:48 PM

No, absolutely not. And I wouldn't let my 19 year old date a 16 year old either. 

• KayLundy3
    September 6, 2012 at 8:49 PM
    No.
  • Gmgej
    by Gmgej
    September 6, 2012 at 8:58 PM
    it depends on the people.
  • my4littlegirls
    September 6, 2012 at 9:40 PM
    Thanks ladies. We already tell her no. I just wanted to see how many people would let their 16 yr old date a 19 yr old
  • MsLadyBlue
    September 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM
    No that's illegal and his mentality is more advanced than a 16 year old not saying she's not mature at all but he's a 19 year old male and older males or men can persuade little girls
  • tyfry7496
    September 6, 2012 at 10:28 PM
    Not a chance. I'm my state it's not even legal. No college age MAN needs to be dating a high school GIRL.
  • FindersKeepers
    September 6, 2012 at 11:45 PM

It would depend... if they were dating in HS already and how close in age they REALLY are.   I think 2 years in HS is a big enough gap... so if he just turned 19 or she is just about to turn 17.   Also depending on her grade.   My cousin was young for her grade and her boyfriend was old for his grade.   So she was 15 and he 18 when they started dating but she was a junior and he was a senior (just one grade level apart).   Now she is a 16yo senior with a 19yo college boyfriend (same guy)....  So, situational for sure.   She will be 17 going into college, but is really responsible for her age and not too boy crazy so I can see why her parents allowed it.

• Shea1967
    September 6, 2012 at 11:52 PM
    Ok that doesn't sound mature at all. 3 phones in a year....off family plan for sure. And based on that behavior I wouldn't allow dating 19 yr old. He sounds like he has issues also. You could meet with the guy and tell him that if they have sex her being under age he can be charged with rape. Might make him think twice. Just saying is all

Quoting my4littlegirls:

I was told by his "aunt" that I'm friends with that my dd is the first girl he treated right. He has a ton of problems. She also has been very disobiedient lately too. She just smashed her brand new phone thats under a 2 yr contract because she was mad. My dh is to the point that she will have to go get her own phone and account because we shouldn't have to pay for her breaking phones (3rd one in a year)

Quoting wakymom:

It would depend. How mature is she? Were they friends before he graduated? If she's pretty mature and responsible for her age and they had already been friends, I might not be happy, but I wouldn't try to say "No way!".

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts