Moms with Teens

cbad
Video game trouble please help
by cbad
June 18, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Someone give a adice..i have a 131/2 yr old son..hes all into video ganes and doesnt care for nothing else. Should i keep talking to him day by day of why is not good too much game? we have the hardest times when is time to do family things if hes playing because he doesnt want to stop in the middle of his game. I really dont know how to deal with it am exhausted frustrated. I already had time set for playing and had big arguments because ive had to turn it off myself and he gets so upset and starts cursing.

Replies

• Shelley927
    June 18, 2012 at 8:27 PM

only allow so much time and then make him get off....If he goes over take it away for the next day...make him earn his privilage...remind him it is not a right

• MonicaJP
    June 18, 2012 at 8:29 PM
    I'd throw that shit in the trash..
  • atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    June 18, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Take the games away for a week or 2.  Tell him no more arguments and no more cursing.  Until he can shape up no videogames at all. 

• cbad
    by cbad
    June 18, 2012 at 8:33 PM
    Yes ive been trying that abd it seems to work but is so exhausting because he does it every week and am always busy with my middle ones soccer practices and games..he stays home because doesnt want to go and somwtimes hes playing wen i come bak and there we go again.He even tells me that my fone and car are gonna go away if hes games goes away thats wen i tell him that i will take the game if he doesnt turn it off

Quoting Shelley927:

only allow so much time and then make him get off....If he goes over take it away for the next day...make him earn his privilage...remind him it is not a right

• Shelley927
    June 18, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Quoting cbad:

Yes ive been trying that abd it seems to work but is so exhausting because he does it every week and am always busy with my middle ones soccer practices and games..he stays home because doesnt want to go and somwtimes hes playing wen i come bak and there we go again.He even tells me that my fone and car are gonna go away if hes games goes away thats wen i tell him that i will take the game if he doesnt turn it off

Quoting Shelley927:

take the power cord or make him go with you for socialization

• xxMocahFrappxx
    June 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM
    Id just take the connection plugs
  • boys2men2soon
    June 18, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Quoting cbad:

Quoting Shelley927:

With all due respect, your issue is bigger than video games.   Your 13 yr old thinks he is in control.  How dare he tell you you don't deserve the priveledges you have, and pay for?    The game system would be GONE.      

My advice is to limit the time he spends playing by confiscating the gaming system and locking it up.  He can earn the priveledge of playing, when you think it is appropriate.   Allow so much time to play, then disconnect and lock the system up again.

My son is a major gamer.   He will play for hours and hours.......has played since he was a little kid.   I quit placing limits on him when he proved he was capable of managing his time wisely.  As long as he did his homework, earned high grades, did his chores and balanced his social life.    Family time is first and foremost.   He must sit down to dinner with the family each evening and participate in family activities. Gaming is a past time, not a lifestyle.

• askmommy
    June 18, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    Step up and be the parent and take it all away until he shows respect.
  • cbad
    by cbad
    June 18, 2012 at 9:10 PM
    Yes thank u for ur advice. I have done that and has worked but hes made it so hard but if thats the only option i will do it over and over until he understands.Being a single mom sometimes i feel so weak physically and mentally. Ill keep praying God for strength and knowledge. i really appreciate everyones comments thank u for ur support

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Quoting cbad:

Quoting Shelley927:

With all due respect, your issue is bigger than video games.   Your 13 yr old thinks he is in control.  How dare he tell you you don't deserve the priveledges you have, and pay for?    The game system would be GONE.      

My advice is to limit the time he spends playing by confiscating the gaming system and locking it up.  He can earn the priveledge of playing, when you think it is appropriate.   Allow so much time to play, then disconnect and lock the system up again.

My son is a major gamer.   He will play for hours and hours.......has played since he was a little kid.   I quit placing limits on him when he proved he was capable of managing his time wisely.  As long as he did his homework, earned high grades, did his chores and balanced his social life.    Family time is first and foremost.   He must sit down to dinner with the family each evening and participate in family activities. Gaming is a past time, not a lifestyle.

• drfink
    by drfink
    June 19, 2012 at 1:46 AM

He is threatening your things when he doesn't get his way ? I agree with boys2men you need to get this under control now.For both of your sakes.If he doesn't learn to respect you are mom now he will get much more out of control when older.I know it is hard work to be a single mom but this will and can get worse.That will be even more harder.

Good luck !

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts